Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Awesome, thank you!

Good point about the extra torque on 9 inches.
160kv @ 1:7 gives 25.7 mph

Realistically I’d be unlikely to want to go faster than that, but probably would go up to that which means I’d be using most of the speed range.

3 Likes

Yeah like @rusins said, gear reduction is more important for torque than lowering motor kv.
You can have two combinations which result in the same top speed, but the one with higher gear ratio would give more torque and range.

So, if you have too low a gear ratio you cannot sufficiently compensate with a low kv choice. You will still be lacking torque. I suspect the opposite thing happens. Let’s say you have 5:1 with 6’’ tires, which is a pretty torquey setup. I suspect if you put there 210kv motors you will still get a lot of torque with the advantage of reaching speeds above 50km/h.

2 Likes

Are you sure it’s conformal coating and not epoxy?

2 Likes

I suppose I can’t be 100% sure…

Looks 1.5-2 mm thick. Dremeled off fairly easily. Soldering iron had some resistance melting through it.

1 Like

That looks more like hot-melt-adhesive to me than conformal coating.

6 Likes

Yeah I saw you mentioning before when i searched on the forum for XT90 mounting tools. Unfortunately i’m not from the US. So shipping out of china to europe will be cheaper for me.

@SabreDynamics will have some soon (couple of weeks i think)

2 Likes

So hot re-melting might be worth trying?

1 Like

Getting ready to start finding room for stuff In my enclosure, which is METAL. I love that, because it is a giant heat sink with great airflow, but looking at the bottom of my anti-spark, I see this.

That’s the side where the batt comes in…I probably need to insulate that, no?
Seems like I’d short it out mounting it to the inside of a metal enclosure…

Yes, you definitely need to insulate that. Use something abrasion resistant like fishpaper or thick plastic, and make sure it is secured very well. Shorting those two points together would be very bad.

1 Like

Seemed like it…I just wanted to challenge the notion that there was no such thing as a stupid question.
Kind of surprised it came with those contact points exposed, that was the only thing that gave me some hesitation.

The next thing I have to figure out is this battery meter.

With the positive connector that looks like a baby coax wire…

I’d like to re-use it if I can since there is a hole for it in the side of the enclosure.
It was soldered to the cheap ESC circuit board.
I tried it directly on the battery and the readout I got was “123”
Which is not 41v I was expecting, so clearly there is some kind of circuitry needed for it read and display battery voltage properly. On the upside…it didn’t explode.

1 Like

Whoa, yeah conformal coating is usually applied in such a thin coat you can barely see it with the eye. Like 1-5 mils (0.001-0.005"). That almost looks like silicone

1 Like

OK - at the part I was dreading…I connected fine, loaded the bootloader fine (left the FW ver alone)
and now want some input on my settings - the few changes I made were based on @ShutterShock YouTube video - adjusting for my rig which is 10s and not 12.
One thing that was mildly concerning was the “Additional Info” screen - which has the incorrect wheel diameter, and battery cells despite entering the correct values prior to detection (which was successful) - so I am hoping values on this screen are not indicative of what is being “used” by the ESC.

Also, I don’t remember being asked to run in FOC/BLDC etc…I ran “FOC Detection” because that was the only detection available (the only button there).

Anyone see anything I should change?

I’ve never actually used the additional info screen past setup, but as long as you put in the right voltage values on the voltage tab and wrote them to the ESC, you should be good.

The only thing the wheel diameter could affect I think is UART data that gets output to Metr or your remote. I think the other stuff is probably good.

1 Like

Bear in mind I am still using the cheap-ass battery that came stock with the board, so it is likely not capable of high output, but I never go faster than about 15mph and have virtually no hills in my area.

1 Like

Then set the battery current max down. Do you have any idea what battery you’re using?

1 Like

Sorry, it’s dark in that corner

What battery and what motor?

edit: battery showed up above

What motor?