Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Maglev trains are a thing.
They’re very fast, but also really expensive to build.

The main issue with using aluminum like the video, is that while very simple to build, it wastes a lot of power as heat from the eddy currents.

It can be done, but you need a ridiculous amount of power to actually get lift.

2 Likes

Imagine the tremendous amounts of money and materials needed. Plus once they start building they can’t stop until ALL the roads are done before the cars are released.

1 Like

Didn’t think about that yeah

Would be pretty sick tho tbh

1 Like

The skytrain here in Vancouver uses linear motors.

Doesn’t levitate tho which was a big letdown for ten year old me in 1986.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the increadable suport and updates metr pro has had. @rpasichnyk has been there every time investigating and fixing all bugs super quick updating software to incorporate new hardware been reliced and multi platform compatible. It has been to community standard for years going to be hard to beat

5 Likes

Nah it’s normal it’s to do with the resistance with in the system and motor. If you Carefully apply some resistance to the wheel that spines easyest with a finger on the wheel and slowly acelarate and you see the other wheel now spins first. Obvusly this is not safe and you could give you self friction burn

When both wheels are toutching the ground and your on the board. The wheels help eatch other out on start up. There is a setting in the vesc for traction control to help reduce one wheel spinning a lot more than the other if you notice it when on the board.

1 Like

Yes very true

All of that, plus the metr vendor is stable, has been around for years, and doesn’t seem to always be in the middle of drama that’s magically never their fault. Committed to science and advancing esk8 tech and shunning drama.

Definitely a class act.

5 Likes

If you had the choice, would you buy the Lacroix Nazare or Flux Motion complete, and why?

1 Like

I’d rather build my own just for customization. But if anything, I’d get a Bajaboard.

@Evwan back to pc fans, blowie matron arrived and Ho Lee Fak :rofl:

So the PWM imput is controlled by voltage? Would a potentiometer work to change speed?

From what I understand about PC fans, the third pwm pin just tells the motherboard how fast the fan is spinning. I’m pretty sure the motherboard then changes the voltage to change the speed. This being said, I’m pretty sure a potentiometer could work, just make sure it’s the right one. I know very little about potentiometers so I can’t add much onto that

1 Like

If money was no object, I’d go for the Lacroix because I’ve heard good things about the trucks, and having a gear drive option is very important.

But if money was part of the equation, I’d go for the Flux because it’s really good value for money :laughing:

3 Likes

Can confirm, Hypertrucks are magic.

There are a lot more gear drives available for the Matrix ii trucks on the flux than for the Hypertrucks, unfortunately.

Definitely. Really hard to beat the value there.

3 Likes

I’m currently trying to decide between the 2 to upgrade from a backfire g3. I would be lying if I said money didn’t matter but frankly I don’t mind spending money on quality. If it’s worth it. So I guess that’s really my question.

I personally like the fluxmotion’s aesthetic but I’d look at some reviews and some of the conversation here about the flux.

2 Likes

I can’t remember which reviewer said this, but someone said that the Lonestar is the board to pick over the Nazare. It’s already heavy and expensive as is, might as well have a battery to match.

Honestly, the batteries might be the biggest difference. Lacroix Nazare has a 12s5p molicel p42a, and Flux has a 12s10p samsung 35E. In practice the flux will have more range, but the Nazare will have less voltage sag, so have more “oomph” (acceleration).

As @BenjaminF pointed out, both the matrix 2 trucks and hypertrucks have geardrives available. You don’t have to get the Lacroix gear drive either, soon Moon drives will be available for hypertrucks. So honestly, the price difference isn’t that huge in the end.

I say if you enjoy casual cruising at 50kmh (below 35mph), get the Flux. But if you enjoy pushing the limits and want acceleration over range, get the Nazare. (Or Lonestar, if it’s in your budget lol)

4 Likes

I think I have read every post about the flux in this forum. I guess I just wanted to hear what someone else would pick on my shoes. Don’t want buyers remorse. I’m sure either will be an upgrade from my backfire g3, just how much better is the nazare or is it even worth the price jump?

So what’s the problem with the backfire g3? Is it not powerful enough for you, is the range not good enough? Most people don’t need to spend $4,000 on an electric skateboard. There are plenty of fully built DIY boards you can also buy here that would do the trick for most people. I think part of the problem is you have to figure out if you even need to spend that much on a board.

2 Likes

So the main things I want to improve are range and comfort. I live in Stockholm and they treat snow here with gravel and never clean it up completely. On the backfire it gets sketchy at speed even on the smoothest paths because of the random rocks you hit.

While the backfire would get me to my office in theory there are packed dirt trails(read more gravel) that it doesn’t traverse well if at all at times on the route.

I guess as well to bear my soul a bit. I used to skate when I was younger (33 now) and getting the esk8 last year rekindled that hobby in me and just helped me deal with my depression by getting me outside more. So I wanted to invest in the hobby and like I said before, I don’t mind spending my money on nice things.

If you think there is another board that I should consider I welcome suggestions. But I have researched a lot for the past few months coming into the spring/summer and narrowed down the options between these 2.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes. On my phone.

1 Like