Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Some multi-pin connectors like the GX connectors have different sized pins depending on the pin count. The 2pin and 3pin connectors probably use the same pin size, but check the data sheet to find out, and make sure the 3pin model is rated for enough current.

Otherwise, yeah you’re totally fine to use the 3pin connector and only wire up 2 of the pins.

1 Like

Thx! I could choose between 2/3/4 pin so I was wondering for the differences. But thats clear now. It doesn’t matter if amp rates are correct

It’s constant voltage but that’s ideal and as the battery voltage gets to its highest state of charge the current decreases. The meanwell has adjustable current so can set the highest current that would flow when first connected and normally would be the highest current as explained by ohm’s law. But so far from the cell’s charge limit even at 13 amps I do with this I never think about it. I do 7p and would charge at 70 amps if I could. But I can fully charge 7p in like an hour anyway with this. I set lowest voltage at 3v and highest at 3.6. And generally charge right before I ride

The meanwell bulk charges so no balancing. Can be done on the side or another time with a discharge balancer for like 15$. @thetrueoriginal

I don’t know if this is a big issue but the MW will not cut off at a minimum current so it will trickle charge the battery unless your BMS has a min current cut-off like the FlexiBMS.

If it’s a hub motor board, it’s unlikely that it’s a good place to start building from.

1 Like

Setting a max erpm limit isn’t being safe, it’s dangerous.

Think of that as the “turn off my brakes when:” setting.

2 Likes

But max duty cycle shouldn’t do this right?

Those are some of the safest and best performing cells that can be had.

They don’t have as much range as the 4.2V li-ion cells. They have literally everything else in their favour. Every other metric except “top range” they are the king.

1 Like

Anyone have issues with Daly BMS’ shutting off before their high voltage cut-off during charging? Charger kept turning off and on slowly charging as if it was balancing but all of the P-groups are already balanced +/-0.01V and it eventually stopped charging altogether at 42.2-42.3V instead of 43.8V, Ive ensured the charger is outputting 43.8V as well. Its a 12s4p LiFePo4, BHU 32650 6Ah cells with a 20A common port daly charging at 8A, really at a loss.

1 Like

Limit top speed by turning down “Maximum Duty Cycle” — and then set “Duty Cycle Current Limit Start” to 5 - 10% less than whatever you set maximum duty cycle to.

Don’t use the “max erpm” setting; leave that at the hardware default.

1 Like

Well weight and size can be a bit unwieldy unless you set your expectations and plan accordingly

My friend’s 12s6p that I built him out of these (yes I know, it weights like 25lbs) easily gets 20 miles from what we’ve tested so far. Haven’t done an official range test yet

1 Like

That battery will probably still be going strong 10 years from now when every other battery has shit the bed.

1 Like

Really sounds like the BMS may be set wrong.

1 Like

I ordered 2 since I was going to make another identical pack for my other board but it’ll break my heart to throw another slightly wonky BMS.

Edit Although common things being common the second is probably set wrong too…

1 Like

Yep I insulated the pack really well in the enclosure too, neoprene on all sides. It’s pretty well isolated from vibration along with the standard fishpaper and other battery procedures

1 Like

This pretty much explains it. You’re not limiting ERPM by the vesc max ERPM setting (which you really shouldn’t touch… I tried it) but limiting the top speed ERPM for the motors, which is similar to limiting it, but without the no brakes issue.

What is the MW?

That is the safest way of doing it. You just limit the ERPM of the motors, which is less top speed.

I wouldn’t use that to charge as it won’t shut off, as you mentioned.

3 Likes

48 I believe is a 13s battery supplier.