Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Yeah the main pack is not lipo, is a standard pack with 18650 cells.

Not really. One thing i do is to take some sandpaper and smooth the edges where i cut it to make it less likely to cut me, otherwise it’s just a shorter bolt.

2 Likes

jepp :blush: :handshake:

@Trampa
Do phatlads bolts and the new battery box bolts use the same torx head?

YES

1 Like

I think its better to make a switch so that you can change from lithium ion to lipo as an range extension. Or make two loop key systems. One for a full connection to the ion, and another as a lipo plug in for extended range so it doesn’t blow up.

But that’s what I would do. I’ve seen others add a split connector to the esc so that they can switch power ports.

How do you power lights with a unity/Xenith? I want to have my lights turn off when I turn off the esc. I know there is a battery plug but it is only rated for 150ma which is a bit too little. I was thinking of turning on/off the lights with a relay controlled by the esc but that seems too complicated.

Today while riding for the first time in a few weeks my motors started seizing for super small periods. The first time I was going about 20mph through an intersection and it caused me to slide and nearly take my first big fall. I slowed it down after that and noticed it happen a few more times on the way home; any ideas about what this could be?

Might be a short in your motor phase wires / internally in the motor. That’s what I would check first for signs of damage

Powering lights off the 5V output of the ESC is a bad idea (it needs those 5V for important logic)

You’ll need a dedicated buck to convert your battery voltage to the voltage your lights need. As for how to hook up a relay that the ESC or remote could control – someone else can probably help you. I tried once and failed :laughing:

1 Like

I understand I need a buck converter. If I wire the buck before the esc then it will not turn off when the switch powers the esc off. The connector on the Xenith is battery voltage but too low current to use for lights

Any suggestions for buying a charger. What are the main things to take into account?

I’m searching for a 42V charger (36V battery) which charges 3 or 4 amps in EU. :smiley:

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunaly the 3amps charger is out of stock. The 4 amps charger is a bit too expensive for me.

1 Like

Alternatively aliexpress has good options depending on what chargeport you need.

1 Like

Yeah I saw someone suggest YZpower to someone else. Any experience with? Port doesn’t matter I can fit anything what isn’t too big into my enclosure.

How long can you leave cells connected in Parallel before making series connections; also is it ok to mix 3.53V cells with 3.52V cells in the same p group. All are new cells.

1 Like

Yzpower or Wate are good options, I’d pick barrel jack or xt60 as a chargeport option.

2 Likes

Thank youu I will take a look!

If I can help Brian out by repeating one of his most frequent pieces of advice.

Wire your buck+lights to your BMS discharge. Lights turn off when you pull the loopkey. As you stated, the Unity/Xenith doesn’t pass enough current to power lights.

If you’re not using a loopkey, you’ll need a dedicated switch on that circuit instead.