Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

How do you know @SeanHacker’s safeword?

6 Likes

Should I be worried?

Yeah. Looks like a missing/broken c-clip that should be holding the can in place but is no longer. Do you see a c-clip on the good motor that is missing on the bad one?

1 Like

Where would I see this?

Oh is it the thing on the end of the shaft? Its on the right motor

1 Like

Yep, that’s a c-clip. Does the pulley slide freely on the shaft? Cus that c-clip should not be causing the can to move relative to the stator. That one is just to hold the pulley on.

There should be another c-clip behind the pulley that holds the shaft in place up against the stator bearing.

I’d love to get it off, but I’m having a bit of trouble removing the top clip. Do I just pry it straight off?

nvm got it and it went flying somewhere

would it be inside of the housing? the screw on the shaft is stripped, so I cant open the motor fully. I’d hope its possible to just put the C clip on the bottom of the visible part of the shaft

Lol fuck :joy: that c-clip is gone forever. They are “concrete soluble” meaning they dissolve into the floor of your workshop haha.

You are probably going to have to replace those unfortunately.

Im not 100% on the construction of these motors, but it probably is, yeah. Under that metal plate there will be a bearing the shaft is coming out of. Right where the shaft enters the bearing, there should be a little groove for a c-clip to hold it in place.

Nope, unless there is a groove there for the c-clip to clip into. Plus, if the c-clip is attached to the shaft (rotation) and is pressing up against that metal mounting plate (no rotation) then its just going to be grinding against it. No bueno.

3 Likes

it seems Im stuck here as there isn’t much I can do…

1 Like

anyone know where i can get eskate length axles with a 5/16-18 thread on the hanger end?

I mean, you could try them out. Worst case, they break and hurt you real bad. Best case, they work just fine and it isnt a problem. Most likely, they last for a bit and then break and only hurt you a little.

Or maybe this is a total non-issue anyway, since a belt drive system should not be putting any axial load on the motor shaft.

When I tension the belt and position the motor mount well, ive never seen them move around, so I’ll hope for the best!

1 Like

Looks like you might need new motors. I wouldn’t really trust it for a long period. Hope for the best if your idea works.

I just bought these used here, and I noticed it but didn’t think much of it. Should’ve messaged the person something, but I didn’t know any better.

Happens. I did the same thing for those 35E cells and didn’t realized 30Q were better at the time. Lesson learned in life.

1 Like

New motors are gonna cost me more than I can spend, and I’m limited to 79mm long motors. I’ll go with battle hardened 6374 motors, either from TB or FS.

1 Like