Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Yes, motor clearance is the massive problem.

Are there any performance disadvantages to having long phase wires? Like if one were to put the ESC and battery top mount in the middle.

No disadvantages other than needing to route 6 wires + sensor wires back somehow. Whatever length is used for the bridge is significantly shorter than the motor winding lengths and won’t affect anything.

2 Likes

yes, this

That’s the takeaway

The added inductance from the long phase wires is dwarfed by the winding inductance and it basically washes out. And, assuming the size is large (12AWG or bigger) then the DC resistance won’t add up to much either. For even less effect of extra, extra long phase wires, just make them 10AWG.

Long battery wires, on the other hand, are a much larger problem. Increasing the size doesn’t do too much to solve the problem. It can be mitigated if needed though.

2 Likes

Inductance hits harder the longer the wires are. Its better to keep it as short as possible. Motor wires would be dependent on winding. If you can make it 10AWG, you should be fine.

Edited: To clarify, you can have long motor phase wires. Just know that the esc will just run hotter than normal.

Is there any setup video(s) of setting up A.S.S.? @Trampa or anyone else that can chime in please feel free! Just got two VESC 6 MkV’s and want to compare sensored FOC vs A.S.S. on my mtb. Also want to compare performance on these vs. my Stormcore 100D. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

are geardrives bad for jumping on eMTB?

second q while im here. What batteries are being used here?
they don’t advertise the cell

Plastic gears or steel gears? LoL. I’ll let the question itself be the answer

1 Like

whatever moon is selling

I think those are plastic. Not 100% sure. You should ALWAYS ask about that.

1 Like

Also, “hardened steel motor gear and POM wheel gear” is marketing jive for “plastic gears” FYI

2 Likes

ah yeah, I know POM from the mech keyboard world. Similar to Polycarbonate, but maybe a bit denser. Milky white colour iirc

ayyy im not alone lol

1 Like

1 Like

Ah you splurged, I have a keychain k6 with lubed unholy pandas, along with a few other low end diy keyboards

1 Like

well, the case was 120 (it’s acrylic)…the keycaps were a bit more lol…but not too bad for a custom
also got a 65% KBDfans one…taobao keycaps on them

1 Like

Cherry MX blue for the win

But the gf hates the noise :sob:

So Cherry Silent Red it is

2 Likes

DO NOT GET SILENT REDS PLEASE. THEY SUCK. I RUINED A KEYBOARD BY USING SILENT REDS. look at silent alpacas. Those are great

1 Like

Already got them and they kinda suck :sob:

Plus, my S key sometimes is wonky

1 Like

Here’s my silent red POS that I don’t use

2 Likes