Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

For an MCU-per-motor setup, I’d feel fine up to 100kerpm or more
Some popular examples of this would be: any single drive on V6 hardware, dual TB6, Flipsky FSESC 6.6, MakerX DV6, Trampa ESC 6, FOCBOX 1.7

For a two-motor-per-MCU setup, I’d feel better keeping it lower than that.
Some popular examples of this would be: FOCBOX Unity or Tenka, LaCroix Stormcore 60D or 100D, BKB Xenith

1 Like

My setup is 67k, but I just wanna be safe. Not sure about the specific architecture of the makerx dv6, but it seems fine

67kerpm on MakerX DV6 would not concern me at all.

1 Like

I’m going to set a limit on it as well below that anyway, I’m just trying to avoid accidents where I could potentially fry a vesc. with my gear ratio and wheel size it will equate to a top speed of like 32 mph, I’ll set a new RPM limit to around 25 because I don’t want to be cruising any faster than that

If you set erpm limits, be aware that you will not have brakes if the motor speed is outside that window. I wouldn’t use those erpm limits for an electric skateboard. For an aircraft or something, probably yes.

Oh shoot I didn’t expect that to cross over with brakes.

Just thinking out loud here,
given the amount of rolling resistance from pneumatics and two belt drive motors if I do manage to pass it, the board will probably just slow down below the limit. The only way I can see a problem here is if I’m going down a super steep hill, but I doubt this will be an issue as I’ve never found the hill to where this would be a concern

Yes, well in that case you need not set a limit at all then, eh? It would totally depend on what the limit is that you set.

If you want to limit your board’s top speed on variESC or VESC then use the “Maximum Duty Cycle” and “Duty Cycle Current Limit Start” numbers in the Advanced section.

esk8 only:

Normal: (don’t set higher)

• Maximum Duty Cycle: 95%
  • Duty Cycle Current Limit Start: 85 - 92%

Governed top speed example:

• Maximum Duty Cycle: 50%
  • Duty Cycle Current Limit Start: 45%

For esk8 use, don’t set “Duty Cycle Current Limit Start” more than 5% or so less than “Maximum Duty Cycle”, and 10% less will have a softer top end but a lower top end.

I’ve done this, for example, when my 12 year old niece rode one of my boards. and I didn’t want it to break 18mph (29km/h)

For balance vehicles like a Funwheel, ALWAYS set “Maximum Duty Cycle” to 95% and set “Duty Cycle Current Limit Start” to 100%. Do NOT do that on normal esk8.

2 Likes

ah cheers man
thing is im not getting more then one helmet so gonna have to cope with the heat
doesnt get to hot in london though as mid summer it peaks at 30c or so

1 Like

is there a thread on foot positioning or stances?

i like to use the front foot to turn and the back foot planted for stability
i also run my front bushings much looser then my rear

anyone know the best stance i am currently running front foot at 45 degrees or so and rear foot flat pushed against the drop down curve

2 Likes

I do exactly what you just said

You can see my footprints

Front foot 35 degrees -ish, back foot straight and hanging off the back edge of the tail.

If no tail, sometimes I turn my back foot more forward and just use the toes of my back foot.

2 Likes

nice no kicktail so will do so
so far seems ok like that just hard to turn toe side on sharp turns as its hard to get enough pressure

I experienced that specific case when i had a bad solder connection on one of the phase wires. Seems like it almost gives up braking for a moment when slowing down enough to enter sensored range. And of course showed positive amps
Edit: i need to specify that at a low enough speed the vesc switches to some lower brakes as well, but it should not show as a spike and a moment of lacking brakes at all

2 Likes

hm, i would argue that mine are good, I’ve done them a few days ago. I’ll still have a look at them.

Do what everyone does. Back foot 90° front foot 45°.
When you brace for hard acceleration you want your back heel planted otherwise you will tire your muscles fast trying to stand on the front half of your foot.
Front foot just move it around as you need, ideally you’ll move it for better leverage in deep turns

5 Likes

That’s why bindings are weird for me on the back foot. It’s like a 110° angle.

4 Likes

Just ride and see if any wire gets considerably hotter than the rest. 4-5 hard acceleration and braking and it would be very noticeable when touching

You can definitely adjust them. I did it with f5 bindings at about 95° first try. Once it’s ready on the street i’ll grab an allen key with me and adjust it until i can keep the stance i want

1 Like

that’s gonna be hard. The phase wires are in a rubber sleeve with a mesh on top. The only bare phase wire are inside the enclosure. You shouldn’t foc_openloop be able to also show it?

1 Like

Well that would help as well i guess. I keep my opinion that you can’t beat real world testing. At least see if the phases together from one motor get hotter than the other motor

1 Like

67k erpm is fine for vesc 6. You do not need to limit anything. Mine is near 80k and it runs fine on DV6.

1 Like