Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Got it, much appreciated.

Also, just as a data point, latest FM defaulted “Duty Cycle Current Limit Start” to 85%.

I also changed “Fault Stop Time” to 40 ms per your rec. Any other settings that you’d recommend to adjust?

what are the erpm limits of unity/xenith and vesc 6?

That would depend on your motors poles in pairs, kv, and voltage.

On regular vesc 4 u cant go over 60k with whatever setup u have right? wouldnt those vesc have some limit too?

If you meant default current limit, that is set up differently. 100k is on vesc set up as default. But it depends on your motors entirely.

Example:

Mine would be

(10×3.6)×190kv×7

47,880 erpm limit.

so say i have a 12s 240kv 14 pole pairs, so would my vesc be able to do 84,672 max erpm on a vesc 4 without blowing up?

Yeah. Its fine. Just check the erpm limits within vesc tools and see if your number doesn’t go above it.

Edit: I meant for vesc 6, NOT vesc 4.

what really? i’ve heard so many people say vesc 4 has a limit of 60k?

1 Like

I’m unsure on vesc 4. I was referring to vesc 6. I only know the limit to that one. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Edit: yeah it was 60k. So no, it will limit your erpm to that limit. If you try to go over, it might heat up.

ftfy

2 Likes

oh ok. whats the limit of vesc 6 then?

Appreciate it.

150k theoretical though. No one knows for sure.

thx

1 Like

Np.

I respectfully disagree regarding distributed capacitance being the best method.

Spreading it out along the wire is more expensive, harder to do, and allows the inductance that exists further downstream from each cap to create a spike.

Yes, these spikes are smaller due to the upstream capacitance but the capacitance is needed for protection of the ESC. No capacitance is needed before that and it’s best to mount the required capacitance, using a low inductance method, as close to the ESC as possible.

This will be easier, less expensive, and more reliable too.

4 Likes

Agreed!
And the situation will only be getting worse as the major manufacturers try to block all sales of loose cells to end users (since they were never meant to be used outside a fully protected battery pack).

2 Likes

I need some names please :joy:

2 Likes

This.

Looking for 10mm ID bearing spacers. Does anyone have a particular one that they order on Amazon or have used?

2 Likes