Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

thanks

i absoloutely hate sodlering wires in parallel so if this works then maybe i could use 8awg for bigger ones were i need way more amps

1 Like

Can a e switch be added afterhand on a llt bms? Didn’t know it needed to be requested for when order was placed.

As long as the amps are low, I see no issue there.

1 Like

What’s the center-to-center distance on 63mm motors? 30mm?

Most have a set of four holes on a 30mm diameter and another set of holes on a 44mm diameter

1 Like

just wanna make sure, i should not use higher voltage charger to charge a lower voltage battery right? what about those chargers that can limit what volt it can charge up to? say a 10s battery with a charger capable of 16s but i set the charger to stop at 42volts, would that work?

You’re probably talking about extreme fire hazards. What is the make and model of the charger you’re talking about, or a link to it?

What’s the trick / troubleshooting steps to getting a smart bms going?

I believe I have it wired correctly:

• charge only 10s smart bms w/ bluetooth dongle
  • charge port fused w/ 10amp mini blade, on (+) wire directly from battery
  • charge port (-) wire from bms c- side
  • bms b- wired to battery

No led on the dongle when the charger is plugged in, but charger fan starts up

VESC powers on when power button is pressed, so battery has juice

Downloaded xiaoxiang android app directly from @thisguyhere 's website (Smart BMS – 10S – esk8Life). Only one item shows up when searching for bluetooth, but can’t connect.

Thoughts? Tips?

Got it. Apparently you must enable location permission in the app? Dumb, but ok.

Followup - there’s a million bms settings. If anyone has a guide, that’d be much appreciated.

1 Like

i dont have anything specific but just wondering. i seen those kind of chargers with unicycles.

1 Like

If you are running the iOS version, all of these settings have slightly different names, but they are all there and all do the same things.

5 Likes

If you need amps don’t split a wire in half like that.
Either split the cable into 2 cables or solder the connectors together with a short wire and then solder the 8awg wire on that

1 Like

Anyone used lemo connectors? What’s the discharge rating?
I see they have all sorts lf options, some even with 20 pins, good for keeping the entire bms system out, but if it can’t charge at over 2A then… weh

1 Like

I mean, in theory half of an 8AWG wire has a bigger cross-sectional area than a 12AWG wire.

My main concern is not current carrying capabilities, but rather how he is going to insulate that monster haha.

2 Likes

@glyphiks, these look very similar to the tiny 16 pin connectors you linked me on ali recently. I think those were 2A per pin?

1 Like

I have to wonder how he’s soldering that in the first place.
Short of a red hot iron and a gas torch, not many solder irons on the market can properly solder that before the connectors turn into a melty mess

2 Likes

My 260W Weller gun does 8AWG just fine :grin:

1 Like

The info you want is in here somewhere. I cant find it for the fucking life of me, technical catalogues give me brain bleeds.

1 Like

Yeah my main concern is not current carrying capabilites, but rather vibration resistance and whether that’s going to slowly break, 1 strand at a time, under heavy vibration.

I wouldn’t do it in an esk8. In an ebike? Probably. Potted in epoxy? Definitely.

1 Like

is there an issue with wires being very crowded in an enlcosure as long as they are all insulated and held together
its the only way i can fit them