Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

For example between a 12s4p and a 10s4p battery (same cells), if you’re pulling the same current from each battery (on separate boards, and assuming everything is the same besides the battery), would you get more speed and toque/acceleration with the 12s over the 10s battery? Or since the current remains the same, you get the same speed and torque?

1 Like

Same torque, higher top end and more range

3 Likes

Im using a xenith vesc and when im programing in the tool, i have to program each side individually. I thought on dual vesc, the second one just copies the first one or it programs as if the dual vesc is 1 unit?? Or is this just one the unity? or i had it wrong all along?

It’s just one on Unity because it’s a single MCU architecture. Each value you set is used for both sides together

Much better example to test 10S6P versus 12S5P because it’s the same number of cells.

2 Likes

That may just be on the OG Unity tool, firmwares in the 23.xx range

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware there was a difference lol my bad

If the zenith is the same as the unity does that mean the flipsky remote that says it works with the focbox unity will be plug and play with the zenith also? Version for vesc4

Anyone know which JST connector is on the battle hardened Flipsky motors (specifically: https://flipsky.net/collections/e-skateboard/products/flipsky-bldc-belt-motor-6374-190kv-3500w-for-electric-skateboard?variant=35277562970280)?

No mention on the website or via search that I could find.

Depends which Flipsky remote you’re talking about, but Jared says he’s tested the VX2 Pro w/ the Xenith

Ok, I was going to get the vx2 but both the vx1 and vx2 are listed as v4 for vesc4, v6 for vesc6 and non vesc. But did some research and sounds like any would be fine using just the ppm cable. I’m waiting for bkb to get back with me to try to clear up what one I should buy. Still a noob to this

The versions for the remotes are just different cables.

The V6 comes with a cable thats 8 pin and is set up to fit V6 VESC UART ports.

The V4 comes with a cable thats 7 pin and is set up to fit V4 VESC UART ports.

The ‘non-VESC’ version comes with a 3 pin cable thats set up to fit PPM ports on any VESC and probably other ESCs too.

For the VX1 I recommend getting this one, even though UART is supposed to be plug and play, for me UART was hours worth of headache while PPM worked instantly after going through the input wizard in the VESC tool (which is like 2 minutes).

If you were to use the VX2 which is a less reliable remote, you need the UART port to use telemetry, so in that case you need the V4 version for the Xenith (and other V4 VESCs).

3 Likes

Most motor comes with jst ph 2.0 connector

Thanks for breaking it down, I just ordered the non vesc version vx1. I don’t need telemetry right now. I guess I can always upgrade when I figure things out a little more. Appreciate the info!

2 Likes

I ask because the old version of the Flipsky 6374 motors calls out that it uses JST-ZH 1.5mm connector.

The new, battle-hardened 6374 version doesn’t mention the connector.

1 Like

Tl;DR New flipsky motors have the correct sized sensor connector for every vesc except the one thinking they’re special that use a different one.

4 Likes

Might help to call that one out by name so folks know if it fits or not.

3 Likes

I don’t know any tbf. I just vaguely remember a brand using non standard conenctors for something. Not sure if they still do, what or who it was.

4 Likes

Should I be concerned with deck flex when making a battery for a short (29in) board? It should be fine if i use nickel for the s connections right?

what size shrink wrap should I use for a double stack 8P P-group?

1 Like