Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Since it’s custom fit to the hanger, tolerances are ideal and it’s solid AF. No loctite, no movement for well over a year.

I have the dickyho long mounts current gen 16/40 without idlers 340mm is perfect fit.

1 Like

I’m sort of? Having an issue with one with my vescs.

When doing foc detection you usually hear multiple tics until it “beeps” and then rotates. One of my vesc skips the ticking and just beeps + rotates. Detection is completed successfully on both.

What could cause that?

Edit: Already might’ve figured it out.

Once vesc is at fw 3.1, the other 5.1. I assume it’s the way motors get detected in each firmware that makes the difference.

2 Likes

Yeah its exactly that, I worked my way through at least 15 different fw and vesc tool versions to diagnose some issue and the motor detection changed quite a bit over time.

3 Likes

I disabled this under app / general. Out of about 10 times, for the first time I got an error (one that I havent seen before - a value measured out of range, and only one side measured and rotated). After that, detection seemed to work fine, if UART is disabled competely.

After reactivating UART now it seems like it is working when the USB is plugged into the opposite side than the receiver. But when the receiver and USB are plugged into the same side, usually it returns the same VESC ID and values

This message shows up quite often if I try detection with the USB and receiver being on the same side.
And this makes me think, that the FW is corrupted.

Also, one more small thing. I still have reverse, even though according to the VESC I am in current no reverse with brake mode. I think that the app settings are not correctly writing. I also tested it with traction control, that turned on doesn’t work either

I think, with every reinstall theres a good chance of FW corruption (sometimes the symptoms are different, but I always had at least one problem), maybe my best bet is using an ST link to flash?

Might be a dumb suggestion, but I wonder if the FW file you’re uploading is what’s corrupted, and just reinstalling vesc tool could be a solution :thinking:

Also I hope you are flashing each side of the vesc when you do this, and are saving your settings regularly. It’s been so long I can’t remember anymore the order for setting up vescs over can bus, but I do know it’s easy to mess up.

3 Likes

I tried two different firmwares with two different version of vesc tools, both had problems. Therefore I doubt that this is the case, but who knows :man_shrugging:

I flashed the two sides separately, and I regularly used the write config buttons. I think there is something more to the problems than me not being a vesc tool expert.

1 Like

Sorry for doubting you!

2 Likes

No problem, it’s fine! Vesc tool can be confusing sometimes, and I am still quite new. But in the amount of time that it took to diagnose these problems and get this far, I can say I got the hang of it.

I am sure 95% sure that the FW is getting corrupted, I just don’t know what causes it.

Maybe a bad port or wire?

1 Like

Do you mean the USB port / wire?

And the port on the ESC

1 Like

I don’t think it’s likely, I used different cables for the two sides, so I don’t have to constantly plug it in and pull it out from the vesc port (because those ports can be quite fragile). I plugged em in like 5 times max, the port itself still feels really sturdy. I could try it with an other cable too though.

I don’t know what to tell you, it doesn’t hurt to try a different combo, usually I restart the ESC and computer

1 Like

Restarting didn’t help, I restarted the ESC so much that I lost count, and while I haven’t restarted the PC during use, I was trying to fix the problem with corruption for a few days, so count in at least 3 computer restarts as well.

Is it a Flipsky ESC?

…you did at least try to flash the bootloaders as well right?

2 Likes

I tried multiple times. There always is a problem remaining.

@b264 It’as a makerx dv6

1 Like

It could be a problem with the ESC itself. I’m out of ideas. I’d get a new ESC and try that.

2 Likes

Should I give ST link a try? @ YUTW doesn’t seem to believe that the esc is faulty.

EDIT: unless he sends a replacement I dont think I can get another ESC.

1 Like