Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

In my area we have lots of roads no cars which are really well paved
Had a friend stand at the end so no cars would come and managed to hit 39mph

I know others on the forum have hit 50mph +

1 Like

hitting 39mph can be done, sure, but averaging 30-35mph? i hardly think so

6 Likes

Ah maybe hopefully can get 30 though

How much is a fully functioning brain worth to you? Helmet is the last thing you want to cheap out on.

For the speeds you are talking about, I would avoid Helmets with a removable chin bar. You want one solid piece. Ideally you want a proper DOT rated motorcycle helmet, not a MTB helmet, but some of the solid MTB helmets will do you ok, once*.

I use a Bell Qualifier motorcycle helmet in the winter (cus its warm with the visor down) and a Troy Lee Designs Stage MTB helmet in the summer.

The Qualifier is well within your price range, and will protect your noggin real good. The Stage is more expensive, but again, dont skimp on your helmet. TLD has a few more affordable options as well which have less ventilation than the Stage, which might be better if you are going to be using this year round.

The order I would get stuff is:

1. Helmet
  2. Gloves w/ wrist protection and slide pads (I use the Knox Orsa)
  3. Knee pads (I use Demon Derby pads)
  4. Armored riding jacket (Not the lazy rolling, something serious)
  5. Elbow pads
  6. Hip/bum protector

In all of my high-speed falls the worst damage has been, in order of severity:

• hands
  • knees
  • elbows
  • hips

I have never hurt my head, because helmet. Stay smart, stay safe, forget money when thinking about safety gear.

*Helmets are a one-time use item. If you hit your head hard enough that the helmet saved you from serious injury, then all that injury has been put onto the helmet, and it is no longer safe to stop the next crash. Replace it.

5 Likes

Yep good advice

Talking to my parents now about loaning me a couple hundred for a helmet and then the other bits will follow

Gonna look about both your suggestions so far
Thank you all very much

2 Likes

This looks real good
Online I’m seeing prices around £200 which isn’t to much

What key words am I looking for other then mips?

MIPS is a good minimum bar to clear if you are set on getting a MTB helmet. There are other safety technologies with fancy acronyms, but I dont know all of them.

Also, sizing is really important. A poorly sized helmet will protect you poorly. One of the things I love about the TLD Stage is that it comes with S/M/L pads so you can swap them out and fit the helmet perfectly to your head.

If you have never owned a full face, going in to a shop to get sized properly is probably worth the time. Is it worth the risk of COVID? Dunno, probably not.

1 Like

So never owned a full face as I said cycling background (road biking) so never had anything other then half

Might go to a shop after Covid but for the moment…

I would much prefer a mtb helmet but if it comes to it maybe I will go full face

Something like the one you linked above is perfect as long as it protects me brain . Do you think that one if sized properly is good enough?

It’s what I use, so I guess some part of me trusts it :man_shrugging: I’ve never broken 35mph though, and I dont plan to.

1 Like

Ah ok will look into what downhill guys use for mtb helmets (if they do)

How viscous is epoxy relative to a conformal coating like this one? I want to coat my motor stators while I battle harden the cans and I’m not sure which to use.

Is conformal coating pasty enough for me to just coat the stator and set out to dry without keeping it spinning?

1 Like

I use protec helmet, triple 8 exoskin knee pads and elbow pads fingerless reinforced gloves from Amazon. Getting a armoured hoodie from Amazon which protects shoulders and back Looking to get wrist gaurds and maybe bum saver soon and a fall face tsg helmet as well. I tested my gear recently at 10mph/15mph and it did really well I’ve recovered in like 3 days.

1 Like

1:2.6 on 8" done

2 Likes

Mean for protective stuff

1 Like

Hope and prayer.

3 Likes

Padded motorcycle jacket. Knee pads, full face helmet

3 Likes

Which? Thanks

Anyone whose bought a Metr pro ideally UK how long did shipping take?

1 Like

Not using HFI is more finicky.

1 Like

I personally like the S1 Retro Lifer

This is similar to that, and it’s $65

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8R0CT4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A2C6BBDOL1WM5L&th=1

Might have to find the UK version though

1 Like