Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Fastenere 842176122885 bolts with #10 brass washers, amazon part B009OJQRY6

And some steel 10-32 nyloc nuts (not stainless steel)

1 Like

Are these switches safe to use while its raining? I mean im not fully submerging them, just slpash water.

I’m just worried about countersunk screws damaging the deck over time; other screws will do this too of course, but I think countersunk screws are more prone to causing layers to split? Not sure though. Plus, there’s less material to distribute the load of screwing on the trucks

1 Like

Countersunk screws suck, and damage your deck as well.

The sooner you stop using them, the better :smiley:

They’re awesome for a $20 park deck that you’re going to kickflip and beat up. For a $2k esk8, they are not fine.

4 Likes

I will only use socket head from now on, after stripping a few flats and a button. Dremel parties suck.

3 Likes

Bought 2 , thanks!

1 Like

Fair enough, I don’t think esk8s flip over anywhere near as often as regular boards do. I just have a general dislike for anything proud since it’s always the first to get damaged. If it can be recessed or flush mounted, I’d rather do that instead.

You could recess and flush-mount regular bolts and washers, but it’s more difficult.

I’ve been standing on boltheads for years and it’s not really a big deal.

Just consider it oversized grip LOL

3 Likes

The loads are also very different. 40kph on an esk8 with vibrations and stuff is different to riding at the skate park and cruising around on a short board.

2 Likes

In my case, it was on my DH/freeride board. It’s precisely because it’s faster that the bolt heads get ground off quickly if it flips over. I had a single flip once, and one of the screw heads had no usable Phillips profile left for a screwdriver to grab onto.

I’ve identified your issue right away.

6 Likes

I have to admit I’m biased towards the bound motor ones those 105 wheels are so comfy

1 Like

esk8 presents a whole different set of challenges than DH/freeride.

I would not focus on that problem much or at all.

First focus should be getting the highest quality battery possible, because the battery is the most important part of the build. If it doesn’t work well, nothing else does.

Ah interesting, I’ve never ridden them

1 Like

can confirm, the boundmotor 105 hubs are actually pretty good…until u wear them out like after 50km :rofl:

3 Likes

I like how the wheels aren’t straight like Pu so when you go round corners it feels like the wheels are gripping more to the road hard to explain it.

1 Like

Loool tbh tho they are replaceable and sleeves are cheap as do not too much of issue for a comfy ride.

I get what you’re saying, my Eovan wheels behave like that a bit too

1 Like

Think there basically the same wheels :man_shrugging:t2:

Personally I would be a little worried about adhesion of the grip tape to the silicone. Silicone is notoriously hard to glue/stick things to, due to the smooth surface, low surface energy, and chemical inertness.

I’d probably go with something more conventional like a urethane varnish, that will provide a durable exterior that is also easier to put grip tape on.

4 Likes