Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I use them all the time, I guess I’m just bad at documenting that.

Aluminum chunks is what I use.

1 Like

How much do you weight the risk of cooking the batteries?

Yeah, thermal mass keeps the temps lower, but also longer, unless you’re going home and opening your enclosure.

Maybe this is moot, if you’re staying below any risky temps. Just thinking out loud…

Depends on motors, weight, and your riding style temperature where you ride . Often no heatsink is sufficient. If your a heavy rider like 225lb going in a mountainous area pulling a lot of amps I would suggest getting one but from user experience when I asked this a while back this guy said this “ I have one, compared to a friend running the same setup on a ride out together, it did make a difference by a good few degrees. I’ve never heard of one being needed though,just helps keep it that bit cooler. I think possibly 5/7degrees, from what I remember, they didn’t really get anywhere near too hot to operate though, we were riding offroad uphill too so pushing it a bit.”

1 Like

Yeah this is not a universal statement, I overheat on two or three decent hills on my MakerX go Foc retro, and that has a heatsink on it.

This is inside the enclosure of course, so if I had a heatsink I might not overheat. The amps I am pulling aren’t even that extreme. I only weigh 150lbs too

2 Likes

On single drives during the summer, overheating ESC is not uncommon at all. At least a thermal mass is needed which makes it work pretty well. A heatsink is better but I don’t always add the external fins and usually just opt for thermal mass, mostly for ingress prevention reasons.

On a dual drive I might not even worry about it at all.

I’m 220lb / 100kg for reference

2 Likes

I’m new to the belt drive gang since I had been using hub motors, but help this noob out. Can someone link me to get some good poly belts for my new board?

Its 435-5mm belts. I want to know trusted belts since I’m starting off the new year with belt drive.

Vbelt guys and vbeltsupply are my go-tos

1 Like

has anyone tried 10s hobbywing esc with 63mm motors? flipsky specifically. i wanna replace my hubs with dual 6374 or 6384 190kv but wanted to see if i could hold off on getting a vesc for a bit. im fine with my torque right now, just want more speed without overheating my motors. plus idk how much a vesc would help since my hobbywing esc came with a 30a battery and my battery now is also 30a max.

Escs with aluminium cases.
the case is a big heatsink.
Fsecs6.6, MakerX offerings, maytech have some…probably others

Hobbywing won’t work 100% with those motors. The motor takes more power to run than the esc can apply. I tried it with my hobbywing for a different hub drive and it couldn’t run it 100%.

but will it have the same/better performance than the stock hubs? do you think getting a vesc with it will increase performance? my battery is 30a so 15 each motor.

Its not the battery, but how the hobbywing was programmed. For example: if the hobbywing came from a stocked hub motor from a company, it will only have the power for that motor type. Its not the battery amps, but rather the amp output given to that hub motor itself. This is why getting an vesc a good upgrade investment. Battery should be next if you need more power.

So to the better performance part, no. It would be worst.

Getting a vesc will increase performance. I got myself a different esc and never looked back.

You can always use a pair of these VESC 4.12

At $39.99, these are a bargain. If you stay at 10S and no more than 25A battery max per VESC then they will work just fine. I would not exceed those numbers though.

2 Likes

Thanks. In the back of my head i was thinking somewhat similar to that.

Why not? I havent payed much attention to tb vesc or single vescs in general.

1 Like

That hardware works great under those numbers. If you exceed them, you will be likely to have bad results.

But it’s a bargain honestly if you need something to work on VESC or variESC software but you’re not rich or don’t want to spend a lot of money.

2 Likes

They’re older generation hardware, and the thermal design is such that you can’t really improve the heat dissipation very much by adding heat sinks, because the mosfets have thick plastic on top that prevents good thermal conduction.

Use them within the limits Brian mentioned, and they’ll be fine.
Go past that, and you won’t have a great time.

2 Likes

Yeah, some of them are programmed for 63xx motors though. In fact, the newest Hobbywing ESC does auto motor detection from what I’ve heard

@b264 I ran mine on 12s 30a battery current for quite some time with no issues, but I would also recommend 10s

3 Likes

Yup, and also standby mode.

2 Likes

Pretty neat imo, cool to see the chinese escs innovating

1 Like