Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

My first thought upon reading this is that you need to turn on real-time data in vesc tool to be able to see realtime data from the ESC.

At least, that’s how it worked last time I used it.

1 Like

Yeah maybe click RT APP on the right side (RealTime APPlication data)

1 Like

what is the most reliable thumb remote
i have never tried it but i expect puck wont be my style as i need something bigger like a vx1 / vx2
i currently have a vx2 and i have heard some safety issues so i want to change

Have you seen the Puck Puck Bruce mod for the puck? Also a little birdie told me that there might be a design competition coming up for new shell designs, so maybe something will come about that you fancy. Otherwise, VX1 is probably at the top of the list, despite being no where close to the Puck in terms of reliability.

2 Likes

so i havent actually tried the hoyt and seen the puck puck bruce but it just looks like the throttle is tiny and hard to use
might be incorrect though

Hi guys,

What gauge wire cables do you use in your builds I can see that my unity and battery splitter cable for my vescs is 12AWG will this be sufficient everywhere else or would 8 be more suitable?

Doing a 4WD DD AT 12S6P P42A build for reference.

1 Like

I routed about that much of my hummie all the way from start to end, board came out perfectly fine. Although I weight 75kgs maybe it’s more dangerous for heavy riders

2 Likes

I used 12AWG for my 4wd DD build using TB DDs. Much easier to work with. I run each motor at 50amps which on 4wd 110mm wheels is plenty in my opinion.

3 Likes

Thanks @JeffyJ I was possibly looking at running at 70A do you think 12 AWG would still be sufficient ?

@SJReason not tested that high yet but seriously don’t feel the need to. Probably not ideal though. What size wheels and what DD setup are you planning?

1 Like

@JeffyJ Going with 160mm 6” tires. The motors are TB 60kv DD XL so can handle the bigger wheels

Ah ok. This makes sense why higher amps may be required for you. I’ll let the more experienced guys answer if running 70 amps through 12AWG is too much as I’m not well versed on max ratings.

1 Like

@JeffyJ thanks mate :call_me_hand:t3:

i’ve pulled 60~63amps on a 12awg before, but it wasn’t continous, just few quick brust of maybe 1 or 2 seconds, the wires should be fine with 70amps, but if u r gonna be pulling 70 constantly, maybe a thicker wire would serve u better. Also less heat generated.

2 Likes

Thanks @frame

1 Like

ok probably a really stupid question but why does the kingpin have to face a specific direction?
can i flip around the baseplate and would it make a difference?

so after doing a bit of googling i see that skateboards have the inverse direction of the kingpin while longboards the kingpin faces out
how would it affect the board to change this?
if i lets say had 1 facing the right way and the other the opposite
or both facing inwards like on a skateboard

You are incorrect :joy: It’s the most comfortable remote I have ever used. Plus they just released a nubbed thumb wheel for better control, if that’s your thing.

Your trucks would turn inverse to how you expect them to. As for why, the best answer I can give you is “because geometry”

What you are describing is TKP (traditional king pin) trucks vs RKP (reverse king pin) trucks. TKP is what is normally on skateboard decks, and RKP is what is normally on longboard decks.

The reason that the kingpin is on opposite sides of the hanger is because the geometry of the trucks are different.

Basically what I’m saying is you cant turn your trucks around. If you dont believe me, try it out. You will immediately see the problem, and it will probably dump you on your ass when you try to ride it.

6 Likes

oh my lord lol

6 Likes

Yeah

Sorry don’t come from a skating background and still learning basic stuff like that

Thanks

3 Likes