Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I’ll look into that! What would I need besides the wheels to attach it to the belt in the back?

1 Like

You would probably need a new wheel pulley and perhaps a new motor pulley.
But for your purpose this is not what you’re looking for if i understood correctly.
As Athrx explained very well, you want to achieve a good balance between top speed and acceleration. In order to change something about that, for example achieving higher speeds, you just change your gear ratio, if youre happy with your current wheels.

Selecting a higher teeth count motor pulley or less teeth wheel Pulley increases top speed at cost of torque / acceleration and lower teeth count motor pulleys or higher teeth count wheel pulleys decrease your topspeed while giving you a better torque / acceleration

Just like on your bike!
We need more information, what’s the motors KV?

Make use of the esk8 calculator.
For a “lighter, beginner friendly” experience you can also take a look at:
http://calc.esk8.it/

2 Likes

Where would I find my Kv? Vestar’s website just shows 6368 2000w*2?

Ok, what’s a good quality company I can order the pulleys at? I am comfortable riding at about 26mph at the moment and am looking for my board to hit over 30mph with 110s.

Thanks for the responses!

1 Like

Battery is Samsung 35E 630Wh

1 Like

Since you have a pre-built, I don’t know which pulleys fit your wheels well enough. So maybe change the ones on the motor. Take measurements of the motor pulley teeth count and it’s width.
Then you can experiment with values in the calculator until you find yourself a topspeed youre happy with.
But keep physics in mind - your board won’t go faster by magic. It will take more time to accelerate and your battery life might get shortened. The speed gain has its drawbacks.
Thats the balance @Athrx explained.
Just like when you’re running a high gear on your bike and you start to sweat. Same for your board here…

1 Like

Even easier… compare starting a car in 3’rd gear vs 6’th gear.
One can do 150mph, but will be so slow getting to that speed it doesn’t even matter.
The other does only 50 mph but is there in maybe 15 seconds

1 Like

Yeah that’s true. Thanks for the input.

So if I went with the 110mm torque board wheels, what wheel pulley should I get off their website that would be a good in between?

1 Like

The motor pulley has 13 teeth from what I see

Need to know your kv of the motor :slight_smile:
Better ask @Athrx he has way more knowledge and experience

I called Vestar and they said it’s 170Kv

Yes, probably the latter. If you ride the same distance but limit your “battery max” to like 25A, I’d bet you see a higher range and mAh from your battery.

li-ion cells have a smaller capacity the higher current you draw.

2 Likes

I just got two maytech ESCs in the mail and I want to 3d print a water resistant enclosure for them to mount to my mountainboard tail. The plan is to 3d print in PLA then epoxy resin coat that for extra strength. The heat sinks on the ESCs here:

Are not Waterproof since those indents with the rivet things in them have gaps on the inner walls. If I filled those holes with high heat silicone paste would it be possible to expose the heatsinks on the top of my enclosure for wind cooling? Not planning on submerging board in water but definitely expecting it get splashed a few times

3 Likes

13T seems quite odd. No one here uses under 15 teeth because of belt slip.
Can you count again, painting the tooth you start on with a marker? (We count the part that sticks out, not the deep thingy)

Do the same thing with the pulley/gear that is on either wheel.

Now, about the battery… samsung 35e is not really meant for esk8. It only provides 8A discharge maximum… compare that to 30q at 20A and it makes a difference (but if it works, it works)
We also need to know the series and parallel number of the battery pack.
Series number can be found easily by the charger it comes with. Output voltage to be precise.
Parallel number, you need to look inside or ask the seller

2 Likes

Welp, my scared ass in the beginning got 37km range with 40A battery total, going slow and all that jazz.
Now at 56A battery and keeping up with cars it does seem to hurt range :frowning:
Time to upgrade to 12s10p then…

1 Like

Yes, or fill with epoxy

2 Likes

Yeah it’s for sure 13T for the motor, counted again and checked the website. It’s showing you can put up to 15T. The wheel has 60T on it, it’s an all terrain PU.

The battery is 10s5p. Output voltage 42V 3.0A IP20?

1 Like

Well it says the belt case is designed to fit 12t-15t, is that the belt?

1 Like

How big are the wheels, in mm or inches?
Are the belts/pulleys HTD3M or HTD5M?
Currently just slapping some 110mm wheels on the pulleys you have would give you 24km/h max speed…

1 Like

I’m looking at doing the exact same thing. Should be fine as long as you apply well.

3 Likes

The wheels are the big 6.5 in all terrains.

Now just using the calculator, if I were to slap 18T motor pulleys on each side, it would give me 30-35mph on these wheels?

Belt on here is HTD 330-5m.

Or should I get a 15T torque board motor pulley and put on the 110mm wheels with a 36T wheel pulley?