Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Super noob to esk8… kinda afraid to ask this, but I get the impression that buying the FOCBOX Unity+ (https://massivestator.com/products/focbox-unity-dual-motor-controller) is frowned upon?

I was super pumped to still be able to get my hands on one, because it’s in every build on electric-skateboard.builders (the 1st forum i stumbled on) and seemed really well reviewed but out of stock, but them I came across the ESB youtube channel and started watching the most popular videos, as one does.

I somehow fell down a rabbit hole of drama, backstabbing, scams, and unfulfilled orders. Jason is very convincing that, essentially, tldr most businesses fail and shit happens, but nothing illegal occured… Other than one of his engineer’s stole the Unity designs and gave them to Lacroix (sp?)? Sounds like that should all be settling in the courts, but I feel like I only watched the tip of the telenovela iceberg.

All the drama aside, does the community boycott the FOCBOX because it’s a bad product or because Jason is a bad businessperson? I just want the best hardware I can find and I can’t wade through all the back and forth internet mudslinging. Please don’t bite me.

3 Likes

The Unity is pretty solid hardware, but Jason is an absolute turdmucher of the highest order and completely full of shit re: shit happens, nothing illegal blah blah, and the only places you can get Unities from now are… flexible in their moral convictions, to put it very nicely? We call them Conflict Unities.
See here:

4 Likes

TLDR, I would say stay away from the Unity. Even the Conflict Unities are overpriced for what they are compared to other newer ESCs on the market now.

5 Likes

is there anyway to mount hypa hubs to bergmeister gear drives?

exactly
199 for a outdated v4 esc that has a wrong XT connector on it
vs
205 for a makerx DV6 (v6) esc that has real good CS support, did i mention makerx also provide all the bullet connector, adapter…etc? none of other company does that, that’s some good shit right there.

now i sound like a makerx sales person :rofl: but for real, makerx product is solid af

8 Likes

didnt have the best experience with my maker x

i bought a dv4 when it came both usb connectors fell of straight away and one side refused to give normal foc detection results
asked customer support on the forum and he said i should return (fair enough) but he expected me to pay shipping costs which are like £20 which i felt was a bit unreasonable

eitherway many people seem to think they are very good

now imagine this was a blood unity, u won’t even get a respond from JP

3 Likes

i know

they werent bad just felt they could have been a bit more supportive plus buying from local people like dexter (for US) means its easier to sort issues out

this is where that paypal deal would’ve come in handy

5 Likes

yep didnt know about that till you said so

just annoyed me a bit that his product messed up and i had to pay

Didn’t know Unity was Vesc4…good to know

1 Like

2 phase shunt design

Does anyone happen to have the contour of the middle of an MBS Comp 95 deck traced out? I want to build a spacer to flatten it, but don’t have a contour gauge to trace it out. The closest thing I got is this screenshot, but it’s not dimensionally accurate and comes from a different deck.

1 Like

https://forum.esk8.news/t/turns-out-enertion-is-fucked-discuss-here/8418/2845

My unitys have been problematic, annoying, and unfaithful.

This one blew up on the bench

2 Likes

what? pics or it didn’t happen

I have been very well supported by Maker X’s team and recently, was just offered an upgrade on a client’s build to the DV6 from the Retro. I just wanted a replacement but he upgraded me.

If he sends an entire new esc to replace it, it seems fair to me.

Also, the DV4 is the weakest of the bunch and should only be set up as such. Clearly you didn’t get to that point though so I guess we won’t know if the performance is good enough for you. The performance of the DV4 without a heatsink on my hub board with conservative settings is good.

Maker X in general has great products and I’d buy them over a unity any day.

6 Likes

Also I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about the absolute tragedy that they consider QA/QC now.

I’ve lost count of the number of cold/incomplete solder joints I’ve seen.

Flipsky now has better QC than Conflict-Unity-R-Us.

7 Likes

Yep… they won’t necessarily all fail, but it looks really bad. You’d want to reflow the connections at least. Besides that you’d probably want to replace the XT-90s anyway since you don’t want the male connector on the battery

3 Likes

Just go with .75 inches of drop. It’ll fit.

presumably not everyone can request an upgrade on used hardware though lol

those qc pass sticker cost like 1USD for a whole stack :rofl:
they don’t mean a damn thing, i only trust something if i used it and it didn’t blow up

considering there is 0 qc for blood unity, flipsky is looking very good

4 Likes