Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Yes, if you keep “battery current max” to 30A or less, preferably 25A or less.

After going fast/uphill for a long time, feel it to see if it’s hot.

what kind of a decrease in range can i expect going from 110mm thane to 5in pneumatics? or 7in?

With or without a corresponding gear ratio change?

1 Like

good point, totally forgot to mention; with a corresponding gear ratio change. Right now I have 15:40

What exactly do the capacitor on the power supply wires do on the 4.12 vesc? Voltage spike protection?

If I’m only running 10s on that vesc could I get away with removing them? I’m terribly cramped for space.

I think the safest way
Use 5.5 mm connector or mt60
Thanks

Yep.

I wouldn’t.

2 Likes

Absolutely not; they are required for normal operation. They also shouldn’t be moved any further away physically.

1 Like

Alright, I guess I’ll fold them under and epoxy them so nothing can make contact.

MT60 is way, way, way better than 5.5mm bullet connectors.

5.5mm bullets can handle higher amps though yeah? I’m about to do build 3 with a single drive TB6380 and wanting to run it at 70 motor amps. 5.5 or 6mm bullets the way to go over an mt60 yeah?

1 Like

They can pass higher currents but they present bigger cabling, short circuit, and loose connection issues.

3 Likes

Because this vesc base on 4.12
So the battery current need set 30a
Even flipsky claim this product can handle 50a continues.
Right?

There is no way that can handle 50A. I would set battery max at 20A to start and maybe raise it to 30A max later once you get everything working. If you set to 50A you will have a very bad experience.

3 Likes

There’s your problem.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
And you won’t find any.

5 Likes

Thanks you so much

1 Like

I’ve just read up on FOC vs BDLC, and I gather FOC has more future support and is quieter(and is maybe slightly more sophisticated), however I still can’t work out where you choose which to use. It’s not in the VESC software (I don’t think), so I’m guessing it’s a port you choose on the ESC? but this also doesn’t seem right. I’ll be running sensored motors if that helps…

Yeah it is.

Under Motor Settings > General > Motor Type, you can pick BLDC, FOC, DC or GPD.

(Yes, you can use a VESC or vesc-based ESC as a brushed DC motor controller too. Technically I think you should be able to control three brushed motors at once (one each on phases A-B, B-C, and C-A,) but I don’t think that’s implemented in software yet. :stuck_out_tongue:)

4 Likes

Ah my bad, thanks for correcting me :+1:

1 Like

No problem. Lots of menus and submenus to get lost in.

5 Likes