Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Honestly it’s been so long since my first (and last) dual diagonal build (which was also my first build ever. God was it fugly), that I don’t remember if I had the vescs together with long phase wires, or long power wires. But yeah, what Brian said.

1 Like

Thanks @b264, @MysticalDork this gives me some confidence. Im goofy.

So torque steer isn’t an issue? I have a few different single escs and duals so wires won’t be an issue.

I guess the question is, can I get them diagonal on one truck or not…I have a feeling not due to the kingpin.

3 Likes

@b264 any experience with loctite 648? Gear drives recommend 640 / 680…these seam to difficult to find in the uk… But i can find 648. Unless im looking in the wrong places

648 should be similar, they’re all high-strength retaining compounds. I know 648 is nearly-permanent if applied correctly unless heat is applied. Very strong stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks man, im clueless with loctite. Im literally buying some just for the motor key. What would your recommendation be for that use? @Boardnamics recommends not using set screws and just using the key and loctite. Ideally i would like to be able to take it off, for if i buy his helicals aswell!

Loctite 660 is made specifically for keyways. I got mine in a day from Amazon

2 Likes

All of those (640, 648, and 680) are high strength retaining compounds, which means they are an absolute bitch to get off without lots of heat and swearing. That can be a good thing, as long as you don’t need to take things apart often.

Don’t use them on screws though, they’re not designed for that and they’re too strong. For screws you want either 242/243 (blue, medium strength) or 270/271/272 (red, high strength).

2 Likes

I’m a fan of green Loctite 290.

It’s pretty strong but still removable — and bonus: you can apply it AFTER assembly. Its ability to wick into crevices is absurdly good.

It’s a good all-around one to have if you only plan on buying one (Loctite is expensive) and if you have an assortment of them I’d get it third after a blue and red variety.

I basically never use blue 243 or the other blue ones any more because green 290 is stronger and wicks more.

6 Likes

641 is good fourth if you’ve got pneumatic wheels with aluminum hubs. Medium strength (removable) bearing retainer. Keeps the outer races from rattling around and potentially chewing up your nice shiny wheel hubs over time.

Interesting. I guess i will need to take the gear off at some point… But i certainky dont want the key to come out mid ride :thinking: i dont fancy death

Good to know, might get some of this aswell then.

I’d say invest in a gear puller. When loctite is involved, you may very well need it.

Makes the removal process a lot less unpleasant.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan for when i change to helicals :joy:

Often the keys work in such a way they can’t slide out. Although chopping the motor shafts for gear drives often undoes this failsafe.

2 Likes

Unfortunately this is exactly why im picking the compound carefully, cutting the shaft is going to result in no end to the keyway hence it can come out!

1 Like

is 2.5cm acceptable for motor/ground clearance? (on a drop-through hummie)

IMG_0011 IMG_0012 IMG_0013 IMG_0014 IMG_0015

2 Likes

I think that’s more than I have on my DD board, but it’s probably not ideal when hanging over the back.

2 Likes

ok, phew! btw, im thinking these mounts wont do for bergs - too short, but what do you think? (they;re the dicky-ho ones from nexus)

that’s more than any of my board :rofl: unless u want to keep those motor with near brand new motor can surface or else i’ve gone as low as 10mm

3 Likes

haha, ok, wicked, glad im on the right path :+1: