Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

can someone help me understand how to isolate a p group for charging via the balance plug or at the cells(nickel strips, etc). if they are connected in series how does that work?

Literally just plug the charger’s two wires into the two spots in the balance port that correspond to the p-group in question. That’s all.

For a 12s battery, there will be 13 wires:

1. Cell 1 negative (which is also the pack negative)
  2. Cell 1 positive (which is also cell 2 negative)
  3. Cell 2 positive (which is also cell 3 negative)
  4. Cell 3 positive (which is also cell 4 negative)
  5. Cell 4 positive (which is also cell 5 negative)
  6. Cell 5 positive (which is also cell 6 negative)
  7. Cell 6 positive (which is also cell 7 negative)
  8. Cell 7 positive (which is also cell 8 negative)
  9. Cell 8 positive (which is also cell 9 negative)
  10. Cell 9 positive (which is also cell 10 negative)
  11. Cell 10 positive (which is also cell 11 negative)
  12. Cell 11 positive (which is also cell 12 negative)
  13. Cell 12 positive (which is the overall pack positive)

Find the two wires you need, and plug the two charger leads into them. Set the charger to 1s mode, and begin charging.

2 Likes

so if i’m charging p group number 3 i would plug into 3 and 4 correct?

1 Like

Yep. Check them with a multimeter to make sure the voltage is what you expect (you’re charging the low cell, so make sure the voltage you see matches that of the low cell)

2 Likes

ok, got it. I know what to do now and it’s working… but I need to understand why it works. I’ve read a lot of documentation but I don’t see anything that explains why this is working. each balance wire is going to the positive of each p group how is this working? :thinking:

The positive of one cell, and the negative of another cell.

Because the cells are in series, AKA the positive of the first cell is connected to the negative of the next, human-centipede style.

3 Likes

The numbering scheme is arbitrary. It could start at the positive side, or the negative. Doesn’t matter, as long as you can keep it straight in your head. (and of course make sure it matches the BMS lol)

3 Likes

ohh ok, It’s not enough to get something to work…I need to understand WHY it’s working. Thx again bro

2 Likes

No problem, happy to help.
And my MSpaint skills need to be tested every now and then. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Damn you! don’t put that in my head.

for the first time I must deduct points from @MysticalDork’s score. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Gotta make it memorable somehow. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I picked up some of the TB velcro straps for battery packs (without having first considered it when making my Enclosure). I was wondering if it would be an issue if the velcro straps closed the distance between my deck and battery? Now when I mount my Enclosure with my battery in, I have to push down an bit where the pack is. Could this be dangerous for the pack?

The section of the pack where I need to push down in order for it to fit is right around here at the black wire:

1 Like

Looks fine to me. It’s all kapton-ed up and a bit of pressure on the wire in that position won’t do any harm.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree for the most part.
Might be worth slipping a little piece of fishpaper under there just in case, but it should be fine without.

2 Likes

Thoughts on running gear drives diagonally? M1 gears have arrived from @Boardnamics and they’re sick! However, the motors I have for them Sk8 6374 are too chonky for 220mm hangers… Shouldve gone 270!

Hence, considering running inward mounted drives, one front left, one back right…

Are you goofy or regular-footed? I’d run them that way if you’re goofy-footed. Otherwise try the other corners.

2 Likes

It’ll work. Both diagonal motors on one truck, and diagonal motors on different trucks (one on the front and one on the rear) have been done before with good results, including by me!

For the split method (different trucks), you can get some weird torque-steer effects, but if both motors are on one truck that won’t happen.

3 Likes

I agree, torquesteer is a thing with dual diagonal, but do not let it deter you, it’s no big deal at all.

In fact, in wet or inclement conditions dual diagonal has far, far more traction because even if your drive wheels spin you have one wheel on each truck still steering.

4 Likes

If you have a dual esc wouldn’t the long phase cables be an issue?

No; long battery wires are far worse. Keep those as short as possible.

3 Likes