Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

So would you say most of the people rushing to buy all the new heat-sinks are primarily from places with hot-climate? Because I don’t think I’ve ever experienced ESC thermal throttling, although my only extended rides have been at a slow pace.

This is a valuable data point for me, thanks!

1 Like

Probably a lot of them, yeah. I bought an infinity sink and I live in Portland OR, where its cold and rainy for 9 months of the year. Even in the summer here I dont get thermal throttling, but I bought it for the potential efficiency gains of keeping everything cooler.

Also because it looks dope :joy:

3 Likes

They are dope indeed, but extra metal = extra weight. Boards are heavy as is.

Would be interesting to see someone do a range comparison with/without. Maybe it’s worth it? :laughing:

1 Like

Im building a 12s10p Tesla cell/Hypertrucks/Haero Bro/F1 Bindings eMTB. Im not concerned about a few hundred grams of metal :joy:

1 Like

Anyone selling or know of a cheap generic enclosure that would hold a 10s2p and small Chinese esc?

I have this one on the current setup that fits all the specs but mounts through the top of the deck which is annoying.

I’m wanting to move my hubs to an ultra cute generic TBD longboard for my wife for Christmas and don’t want to drill through the top of it immediately.

2 Likes

these are the boardnamics ones, no? maybe it would fit drop-through if you routed out where the baseplate goes like this

2 Likes

Yep

How would you route the deck?

What tools do I require

1 Like

you’d need a router, or some people use a dremel. @donta42 build thread has a pretty good guide as to how to do i think. Worth practicing on scrap wood before, the router takes some getting used to using.

2 Likes

Got a dremel no router

Otherwise would have to leave

1 Like

What baseplates are you using? id be intersted to get a measurement of how much extra space is needed if the trucks are attached drop-through

1 Like

Bn non adjustable baseplates

1 Like

ah, i guess they dont make them anymore. only adjustable ones

1 Like

Single drive has more issues with hot ESCs. But also summertime makes it way worse. When it’s sub-arctic outside, even the smallest {or no} heatsink is surprisingly effective.

2 Likes

Just “top mount” the trucks. Bolt them to the deck without using the drop-through hole. Pretend it’s not there.

3 Likes

As in just mount them normally?

Exactly

3 Likes

@tipsy has a eboosted cruiser enclosure for 60$.

Might work well for your needs.

3 Likes

there isnt a vesc tool for chrome os by any chance

You can install a normal linux distro alongside the chrome OS using what google calls crostini, then install the linux vesc tool on the other distro

The arch wiki has good info on this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chrome_OS_devices/Crostini

This will require you know basic linux stuff, if you have never use linux before or built software from source I suggest you look into other alternatives, the learning curve might be steeper than you think. You have been warned.

3 Likes

never used linux before so i doubt it

i really want to run cura and vesc tool on chrome os as it would make life so much easier for me