Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Thank you! I’m just beginning to start to understand the tradeoffs. I keep looking around but the info is so fragmented, spread out everywhere.

1 Like

I hope to see a build thread or at least a completed picture in the pictures thread.

The battery and electronics will be the most advanced thing I can possibly build. The rest? I have no frakkin’ idea yet. :grin: Ideally it will be a config that can best “show off” the battery and electronics I set up.

4 Likes

Absolutely. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

don’t worry man, we are here whenever u need suggestions / options / comparisons…etc, just ask away

1 Like

In all fairness, you can still use the same motors with a hv controller and a 18s(? I think that’s the max?) Battery.
You’d theoretically get the same powerband at the speeds you’re used to, but what was before 95% duty cycle is now likely 60%.

If you were consuming before 2000W to be there, you’d still consume at around the same number, since the motors now see 50v from the 75v the pack provides.
Motor sees 40 amps at 50v, battery instead sends 26-27 amps at 75v (so less battery strain. You know this part better than i can think it)
This is of course ignoring all the losses like a child covering his ears and singing.

Now, what was top speed is now a bit over half, you can accelerate further than what the 12s pack would have allowed

P.s.: make a build thread here!

1 Like

No where near ready to start a build thread yet. So many basic decisions to make yet as I learn. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That’s what a build thread is for! Lay your ideas in an orderly fashion and people bring up improvements, fitting issues they had, what works and what doesn’t, etc.
By the time you’re ordering the parts you already get a basic sense of where to start, what you should or shouldn’t buy (p.s.: it’s always the deck&enclosure first)

2 Likes

I think all is connected correctly, VESC tool detected them. It is working normally, but I want it for app tracking etc. Also, I’m not really sure what you mean with three second hand test.

Edit: Now I know what you meant with three second hand test

1 Like

Ahh…I saw it more as a log of the actual building versus a place to bounce pre-build ideas off the community. Thanks! I’ll start gathering up my Wants and my Would Be Nice list of things.

4 Likes

Is the 3 second hand test if you can hold the motor for 3 seconds the temps are alright?

2 Likes

Lol that’s the rule I use. I think you can hold your finger on about 70c max for three seconds before you’ll want to remove it

My motors never get that hot anyway though

3 Likes

thats really helpful to know :laughing:

same, after building up a working prototype i realized i hugely overestimated how much current draw i would actually have and motors never got more than warm to the touch

1 Like

Yes, thanks. Do you know any other solution? or what I should try.

I believe this is the other way around.

Lower kv in the same size motor means more turns around the stator fins. There’s only so much that can fit in there so sacrifices are made in wire diameter.

But I’d defer to @hummieee on questions like that

5 Likes

Right!
I had the thing mixed up in my head. You are right

1 Like

MBS is forever out of stock on these truck bushings.

anyone know an alternate source?

are the proper words “Flanged sleeve bearings”?
Are they nylon? something else?

What exactly are you trying to solve? Why do you need motor temperature?

1 Like

Ever yearning to hang with the cool kids, but suffering from a bad case of esk8 noob, is it “riding” or “skating”? Or are those both correct for different things?

4 Likes

@Battery_Mooch
There are analogue purists who will say what we are doing is not skating. My boards and style in particular do not resemble a skateboard or even how one typically stands on a board.

Riding for sure. Not one here makes the ‘skating’ distinction. Out in the wild, ppl will be offended that Esk8 is called skating.

But also, the very fastest Sponsored downhill guys give zero f’s and will happily jump on an Esk8 if given the chance.

4 Likes