Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

ok, thats what i thought because the case wasn’t coming off for some reason

Hey there, i’m building a board out of the junk i have accumulated over time,
i’m using two "vesc"s : a 4.2 from flipshit and a 6.1 from Maytech

I feed them from a small 6s2p pack which is rated 40A continuous.

They power two identical hub motors, i got them running on v5.1 and setted up the same, linked them over can.
each of them is set to :
Motor max 20A
Motor min -20A
Bat max 20A
Bat regen -4A

The poblem is : when i try them separatedly they do allright, and go around 16k erpm on the bench.
when i power them both alimented in parallel, the flipsky seems to drag all the power away from the maytech : he goes up to 15k erpm while the maytech is down to 5k erpm

what am i doing wrong and how to fix this ?

Also, would it be smarter to change the cells configuration and make it 12s1p ? isn’t 10A per motor too low to go anywhere?

Did you wire them in series or in paralel?
That pack won’t get you far and unless it’s from grade A 30q cells, i doubt it can do 20A/cell anyway

the esc’s are in parallel,
the cells are genuine HG2 and i’m use to get 20A out of it without a problem
i was previously getting around 14km out of this pack on a one drive with a high kv 50something

Are they connected using CAN? They are, I should read better. Is traction control enabled? If so what did you set as the max allowed erpm difference?

they are connected by CAN,
traction control isn’t ennabled, but isn’t this supposed to impact only on load ?

EDIT : i unpluged and repluged everything and activated traction control on both
i know get something around 10erpm on both (which seems pretty slow ?)

The flipsky one does somenthing weird : when i reach full throtle, his led blinks and the motor makes a similar “blinking” sound, is that the traction controll limiting the power input ?

Anything is possible with enough DIY. The question is, does it make sense for you?

You could even use paper and epoxy and make a thin cover

Lay the paper on the inside of the can over the holes, and cover with thin layer of epoxy

I don’t know how much space is in there though

1 Like

Not at all.

Sounds like a deadband or center point mismatch. Either use CAN or tighten the deadband on the maytech. Under load you won’t even know anyway. A no-load condition amplifies any errors there and makes them noticeable when they wouldn’t be otherwise.

Do aliexpress 6x2 inner tubes fit inside bergs?
Do they also fit trampa/tb/evolve/any other larger rim design?

1 Like

Thanks, i had no idea,
It’s suppose to become a super light comuter so 25km/h sounds enough for now, i’ll test it as is and then change it if i need more speed.

Hmmm sounds like i have some more reading to do tonight, i’ll try to sort it out.
Meantime as you said i got a loaded test and it seems to work juste fine,

I’ll know more when i get the deck and finish the enclosure

Thank you :slight_smile:

Amen :pray:t4:

1 Like

Depend more on the wheel itself if you have a 6 inch urban treads trampa for example it should fit.

Does anyone know how to properly set up two 4.12 vescs? I have both of them, I just dont know how to wire them together properly and configure them. I do not want to split the signal from the receiver

You have two choices then.

Either use two receivers or use CANBUS.

4 Likes

I plan on using the canbus, I’m just confused mostly on how to properly program them to worl

Make sure they both have different VESC IDs

then

Set one “Can Status Message Mode” to “CAN_STATUS_1”, that’s your slave ESC
Set the other to “Multiple VESCs Over CAN” to True, that’s your master ESC connected to the receiver

2 Likes

Do I need to configure them individually? Or if I change settings on one will it transfer?

1 Like

Configure them individually.

1 Like

Yea I set the failsafe and I have tried to change it to “PPM and UART” and “Current Hyst Reverse With Brake” but when I try to change save the changes by clicking “CAN->” it never updates and says my firmware is not up to date. I think I read if I update the Maker-X, It’ll become a brick.

The hardware Version is “410 & 411 & 412” and the firmware version is “VESC_default.bin”

The bootloader box says:
“Fw: 3.62, Hw: 410
27 00 39 00 12 50 4D 53 47 34 35 20
Paired: False, Status: STABLE”

I don’t know what any of this means or why the controller isn’t working now but it worked when I first paired everything.

Use version 1.25 from here

2 Likes