Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Damn, really regret not getting a Unity. I got the impression that they were unobtanium and was actually confused why they kept showing up in people’s builds … should have looked a bit harder/questioned this paradox…

Has anyone every tried making tubeless pneumatic wheels? Out of curiosity

1 Like

Ahh didn’t know there was a difference
Don’t they look quite similar?

1 Like

The FOCBOX, available in version 1.3, 1.6, and 1.7, was a rock solid single motor controller from enertion. The version 1.3 is also called a “VESC-X” sometimes because its name was changed early on.

The FOCBOX Unity was a “dual” motor controller and as enertion folded, it’s not available new anymore except at the massive stator site which is basically buying Conflict Unities, or taking product that others have already paid for and not received

If you have interest in those products, you should check out instead:

FOCBOX: look at the @torqueboards TB6 controller
Unity: Look at the Lacroix Stormcore 60D controller

5 Likes

I have Maker-X now anyway…

Yes, I’ve seen a couple. The main issue is getting the initial seal - most of our wheels don’t have the bead geometry common on car wheels where the bead “pops” into the sealed position upon initial inflation. Other than that, it’s just an issue of getting a valve stem that fits nicely in the hole, and putting some sealant between the wheel halves.

2 Likes

idk if someone answered you yet but did you configure your remote to the right “battery cells” parameter? (in series btw)

1 Like

well said, other good alternative from makerX:

single: mini-foc+
dual: go-foc dv6

1 Like

@b264 can one use 419D on the green stator magnets of a motor? i understand 422B is better but i don’t have any on hand and it’s time critical haha

can i also use it on the windings?

My newest favorite is MG Chemicals 4228 (not 422B) on the windings and West System 650 on the magnets

Might have to add some thickener to the 650 or keep it rotating while it’s curing and/or use a silicone balloon inside or a nylon plug

(so the epoxy doesn’t run out while it’s curing)

2 Likes

but can i?

1 Like

Yes, I have used it in there. No issues

1 Like

You can, as in it won’t explode or form a black hole. The real question is, will it actually do any good?

2 Likes

@b264 will it be any good?
i like where this is going :joy:

On the magnets I wouldn’t bother. On the windings, yes a heck of a lot better than nothing. But keep in mind it traps a bit of heat so while it may be a little more reliable, you shouldn’t run it quite as hot either

2 Likes

It can also prevent loose windings from vibrating, which makes annoying sounds and also helps to cause failures later.

1 Like

haha thanks. i’m asking about the magnets because i have a bit of rust on mine and wouldn’t want that to build up on my new motors arriving tomorrow

1 Like

Looks a lot like that red epoxy spray I used on my last 6355.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how the magnets rusted, do you have a photograph?

1 Like

Got a link for that?

4228 is a one-part compound