Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

what are benefits then of using a focbox, or equivalent in terms of Amps, to build a street build with since most of them have 12s4p as a kind of max battery config (somne ocassionaly more) - and thus only use half the focbox’s power?. is it just safer to play with hardware that can take more amps? or is it the build quality/reliabililty that people are buying?

1 Like

The higher ranked ones will perform better (geo)thermally(lol), even if you’re far from hitting peak amp ratings.
Plus stuff like reliability, features, customer service etc.

1 Like

You need to take into account the cooling you’ll provide to that esc. The rated limits are in open air, or, “we tested it and it didn’t blow up” kind of thing. You’re way more better off if you use it at like 60 battery amps each and put a generous heatsink on it as well.
Once again, 30q’s at 20 battery amps look like they’re damn near dying. Even 15A is a real struggle for them. Maybe look into a 12s4p p42a/40t for a real 60A/side pack

3 Likes

Thought exercise…12S setup at low throttle vs 6S setup (with double the cells per p-group) at high throttle for lower speed cruising.

Is one superior? Assume whatever else is needed to make this comparison.

Both should draw about the same amount of current from each cell in the battery pack but are their non-linear things going on somewhere that make 6S at full throttle different than 12S at 1/2 throttle?

ESC efficiency issues? Heating? Gearing ratios?

4 Likes

I’ve not bought the cells yet, but unless I get a bespoke enclosure made I have to stick to 18650…so perhaps other cells are better than 30q here? The VT6 ones perhaps?

1 Like

The answers to this are buried all over the forum. It really needs a good post on the topic.
I need someone else to answer better,

but “it depends”. It’s a big tuning problem of what gear ratios you can manage / fit. wether you hit current limits of wiring, ESC. etc.

There are those who insist more voltage is better for all the things. and then there Moe Stooge racing… running very high amps at 8s voltages with in runner motors.

adding:

and I should point out drawing the same amps at half the voltage is half the power (watts). so to deliver the same power the amps won’t be the same. if you gear for the same top speed, the 6s pack will pull twice the amps to deliver the same speeds/power/torque to the gournd. assuming the equip can handle the higher amps.

5 Likes

In terms of performance the 30Q and VTC6 are very close with the VTC6 just a touch better. Probably not noticeable in actual use. Stay tuned though, posting a test report in a couple of days with another possible option.

7 Likes

30q and vtc6 are head to head the top tier cells you can buy. There just isn’t anything better at the moment and the move seems to be towards bigger cells so probably nothing better coming in 18650 format either (obviously happy to be proven wrong)

Again, 12s4p 30q is suitable for most. I can hit 60km/hr on pneumatics with that pack (well, it’s a vtc6, same spec anyway i guess)
If you want your pack to last, go overkill until you can’t possibly stress it
Oh and by the way, a trampa vesc 6 can do 70A continuous in open air. I don’t know where that 80A came from on the maker-x mini

3 Likes

Oops…agreed. I forgot to mention in my post that the p-group cell count for the 6S setup would be double that for the 12S.

1 Like

I’ll stay tuned. Where will you post, on the battery builders forum?

Citadel

3 Likes

40T would be ideal, which could work space-space wise at 4p, but I’m not making my own enclose and don’t know anyone who offers that service.

The Focbox can to 80a per motor, right?

A 12s3p 40T is head to head with a 12s4p 30Q. Just 1cm wider (and shorter but not sure by what amount) and can do 90A safely (compared to 60A from the 30q)
What deck/enclosure are you looking at?
Focbox can probably do much more than that, but is thermally limited. In open air i can only assume is close to trampa vescs

1 Like

right then per cell issues get balanced back out.

and then it’s just the tuning with gear ratios and amps through esc and wires that comes into play. also there’s the possibility motors at higher amps are less efficient by a margin that matters to your tunring rather than lower amps and higher rpm. ( higher voltage)

1 Like

I’ve got a landyachtz Wolfshark with an enclosure by BigBen. The deck is much longer than the enclosure, another could be made that stretched more of its length. But there’s no way I’m getting messy with fibreglass and wot-not
Bens enclosure was made for an early version of my deck which was shorter (on which is fits well), mine could do with a slightly longer enclosure

Ahh…good points. Thanks!
I also realized that the battery-side ESC wiring could be smaller for the 12S setup (for the same voltage drop).

1 Like

do you mean they falsely advertise it’s spec?

welp, my board is having hiccups again. i just updated the firmware and had no issues for two rides but then the hiccups showed up. Im gonna leave it powered on after my ride, and open it up to look at faults. really hoping i solve this and enjoy my board lol

1 Like

Yes. Even a little more actually.

But not Battery max

2 Likes