Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I will read it later today at work. It’s like 1:36 am rn lol. I’m just trying to break my speed record and I wanna make sure everything is tuned properly. (I know. Conservative settings for a speed board? Pfft) But I don’t want to crash due to failure of parts due to settings

Thanks @b264 will definitely read up more on that later, but a few days ago, you suggested you would set absolute max current AT LEAST 150A. Why is that?

1 Like

I’m very, very sure that was for absolute max current value

1 Like

Oh yea sorry, thats what I meant. Lemme edit

I’m assuming it’s set to an unreasonably high value so that our esc doesn’t shut down or some shit?

1 Like

Yep. Things tend to spike in “transient” conditions but for a few miliseconds it’s more than ok. If that value is too low you get overcurrent faults every time you do something more abrupt with the throttle or brake hard. If you gotta brake and get an overcurrent fault you get no control for a while which is baaaddd.
Absolute max won’t let you pass the mosfet amp rating inside the esc anyway. If the mosfet is a 150A one, that’s how high it will let you set it

1 Like

Absolute Maximum Current is the value it will fault at, which cuts your brakes. You want that high.

Those are millisecond long transients

1 Like

Thanks a lot.
I guess 2pin is the way to go?

PS: You’re my hero!

1 Like

What geardrive system would let me hot-swap between thane and pneumatics?

1 Like

I’m not sure what your idea of hot swap is, but it’s the same with belts where you’d have to remove the adapters. So I guess all of them and none of them? :joy:

2 Likes

ah damn, ok , maybe not hot-swap lol. more like labour-intenstive swap then like which will allow me to use thane and pneumatics? i ask bc i inquired into Moon’s geardrive and he said they only really work with minimum 6" pneumatics, which gives a 22mm clearance, so thane wouldn’t work.

1 Like

i don’t think there is any gear drive that is small enough (YET) to work with even TB110, unless u don’t care about clearance :joy:

4 Likes

If you find something kegel compatible, @Boardnamics seems like he’s cooking something nice.
I think there aren’t many options out there anyway

3 Likes

I heard Dex is working on some 130mm Thane :eyes: maybe boardnamics? But yea, most gear drive thane builds experience serious small rocks and pebble damage

5 Likes

My turn of the noob questions: what inexpensive pneumatic hubs fit into what reasonably priced geardrives?

3 Likes

I had serious hopes for moons lycan gear drives… 🤷

1 Like

if we all dream about it, it might happen :rofl:

2 Likes

Bergs and avio gear drives

But also if you’re US, 3DS has nano gear drives that aren’t much

Bergs unobtanium unfortunately…
3ds made me go nooope at every price listed on that site.
I’m in the uk (no, trampa is not an option either. No idea what fits what on their own damn site anyway)

2 Likes

i saw a gb on an old thread with those spiral right angled ones, taiwanese produced iirc that stick out the rear at 90 degrees to what they would normally be. pain in the arse to install it seemed. they could work with thane, but that’s all.

i also can’t wait for BD gear. @Jujo what are the lycan gears, never heard?

2 Likes

Problem is how the whole thing interfaces with the wheel. Most seem bolt-on.
Problem 2 is the torque difference. Bigger wheel AND double consumption on pneumatics

1 Like

Yea, haggyboards is moving to UK but anyone know when they’ll be back up and running? I miss timo

2 Likes