Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I’ve used 3 for myself and 4 for other people’s builds. Maybe 5. They’re cheap and reliable for my purposes 🤷

BUT you should check inside and redo the throttle wires. They’re so fucking frail

4 Likes

Yup. Dropped mine in dirt from waist height. Once cable came loose and i had to drag my mtb 4km to the train station and ride back the 20km i was from home

3 Likes

Things like this make me consider bring my TS-80 soldering iron along with my power bank lol

I already bring a USB C cable to charge my phone if I need, and the TS-80 is the size of a pen so

4 Likes

just don’t forget ur solder as well :joy:

4 Likes

why not, the 200g? Probably won’t make a noticeable difference.

On the other hand, in 4 years of riding that’s the only time i got stranded due to a hardware fault. So chances are low for me

1 Like

True haha I did have one time where a hub motor phase wire came out (it snapped at the bullet connector, my fault for bending the wire 90 degrees) though, would have come in clutch there

2 Likes

Kinda late, but I’m running dual 6354 fs motors with pressfit pulleys and 15mm belts. It’s doable on cal II trucks but it’s a tight fit and theres like 2 or 3mm of clearance between the motor cans.

W/ TB 110s and BN motor mounts and wheel pulleys:

I did have to cut/file down the hangers, though just for the pressfit pulleys

**sidenote: I feel like 330mm belts are a better size for 15x40 on these motor mounts. I can run them a bit looser without the idler pulley getting close to the edge of the mounts

1 Like

Thanks, I saw that FS motors are a bit shorter than Maytech. But the issue I have with FS motors are that it runs 10mm D shaped shaft, and I have trouble finding those pulleys made of steel in Europe

2 Likes

Which FS motors are you looking at? The ones I have use a keyway and are 8mm

https://flipsky.net/collections/e-skateboard/products/flipsky-bldc-belt-motor-6354-140kv-2450w-for-electric-skateboard

I was looking the new “battle hardened” ones.

But I guess I’ll go with older model, the one you are using. How are they holding up?

1 Like

Thanks Mi lord

They’ll have shaft rattling problems in the first 2 days. Then bearings start clicking and it kind of goes downhill from there.
I’ll gladly donate you mine to see what they look like after 2000km or slightly more

4 Likes

oh boy i guess i’ll need to replace mine in the near future then lmao

I just started riding a bit on mine so I couldn’t have spoken on their longevity

I had no idea they also sold battle hardened 6354s, i just thought they had battle hardened 6374s

I need help with a Mini Remote. Its paired to a Maker X dual vesc, but it won’t turn the wheels when I hit the throttle. I have no clue what I need to do.

Did you set up the PPM control properly in Vesc tool?

2 Likes

Here’s a noob question that’s been on my mind. Is there any performance difference in mounting trucks with the kingpin pointed forward or backward? (other than changing the wheelbase length)

There’s a big difference. For starters, you can’t simply just mount RKP trucks backwards, they won’t work properly. That’s just a general longboarding thing.

While I can’t explain the difference between TKP and RKP off the top of my head, I’d suggest just googling “what’s the riding difference between TKP and RKP trucks on a longboard”

3 Likes

Yeah remotes and motors, doesnt mean their esc’s arent full of design flaws and overspecced product pages.

If you mount them the other way around, you will lean left and the board will turn right.
If you want to be more stable, look up the article about split angle configurations on this forum, also run drop-through if the setup allows for it. Lower ground clearance but the stability is a huge confidence boost

2 Likes

Is there a parameter in vesc tool that determines how fast a board accelerates?
I mean besides amps.
2 same size/ “spec” motors can behave differently under the same load and i can’t quite explain why
Let’s say my old 6355 motors, they would immediately go as fast as they can possibly go, the limit being my fat ass

Now, new, more powerful 6374’s, at a third more amps than the old 6355, feel like they take a good while to ramp up the speed, even though the general torque and steep climbing is a clear upgrade.
Why is that?
Both geared for the same top speed, old is 190kv, new is “170kv”, but more like 180kv

2 Likes