Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

You can select it(bldc), but if vesctool detects your setup meets the needs to FOC, it’ll switch it to FOC and warn you that it did.

I just hate the super high pitch it gives to my motors over 40kmh. But since I always have music in my helmet, too lazy to do something about it :joy:

2 Likes

isn’t smoothness more sensor and shunt oriented?

Foc is super reliable, i guess most failures come/came from shitty made hardware?

eg. early 4.12 or flipshits.
My 4.12 are running foc mighty fine, i push them hard on my mtb.

3 Likes

No idea lmao. I don’t have that kind of knowledge but if someone else does im more than happy to listen.

I believe so, i read somewhere that flipshit handles FOC mode less reliably than BLDC; which is why I planned on making my build bldc. If yours are working fine on foc i think ill be okay too.

On a side note, I don’t need to make anymore adjustments to the FOC settings once ive done the wizard right?

Keywords :wink:

You should be fine with that part of the setup

1 Like

Mine are from TB so YMMV.

change the battery amps since the tool sets it at 99

Ohh okay i thought you also had fs. I’ll see how mine run in foc for now and see how it turns out.

yep, done :smiley:

1 Like

If you know your esc can handle it, switch to 30khz switching frequency. Smooth as a soap sliding in the bathtub, especially while it still reads the hall sensors at low rpm.
You can also up the motor amps a little if they don’t get hot with the given results.

Also find duty cycle current limit start for all escs in the sistem and set it at around 85% if you intend to do the full speed the board can. There is a hard jolt or even wobble when the motors reach maximum duty, and this setting ensures the current is limited smooth enough so you don’t wobble or feel the board lose power suddenly

2 Likes

How do i know if it can handle it? If it doesn’t overheat?

Will do cap

1 Like

I never touched the frequency. Not sure if i should when it runs like it is?

aka never touch a running system

1 Like

Higher frequency makes acceleration smoother as that’s the speed at which the mosfets switch on and off. This theoretically increases efficiency in the motor operation but increases losses on the controller. Losses = heat. There’s also a unresearched limit where the esc stm chip runs out of available processing power it seems. I am not willing to test how high that is

2 Likes

If it works, probably leave it alone.
Unless there is a lot of sound resonating from the motors and you wanna change stuff a bit, then do try. Hope you have a bluetooth module

I need a bit of help with hfi.
No matter how high i set the hfi max voltage, there are positions from which the motor starts backwards. I was able to even start it right in between and on the hfi plot, the blue line appears to split in 2 clearly defined lines. 1mm into the wrong direction and restarting the motor spins it backwards when i press forward. I have no idea what is going on and no setting helped with this specific problem. Help?

The motors are the flipsky 6374 “battle hardened” on which both sensors don’t work out of the box. They also have convex magnets

1 Like

How did you manage to battle harden them? I have their 6354 but they like epoxied motor can screws in

the new 6374 from flipsky is already battle harden in factory

2 Likes

They’re from anubis’s group buy batch. Idk much as i don’t want to open them yet

1 Like

3 Likes

Is that scratch line from normal operation? Do you hear it after a certain rpm?

The line was from a brand new motor. The photos are minutes after receiving the package. One motor has a higher pitch “scream” at 85ish % duty cycle. Lemme find the video

e: fuck i took the videos offline. This is what i was describing

at a certain rpm/speed,cycle whatever one of the motors would get substantially louder than the other.

1 Like

I can’t see any video…
Both my motors have a strong resonating hum near full rpm. Floods the room with noise like a fire alarm kind of hum
But one seems to be grinding somewhere over 80%. Annoying because i do actually reach and stay at top speed. Hopefully it’ll rub down in time…

Do your hall sensors work?

i know, i took them off a few weeks ago. Didn’t know they would be useful again.

I don’t have any grinding sound. Just a slight clicking when turning by hand.

Hall sensors work yes.

1 Like