Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

This diagram is for the 12S version of that BMS, but it’s otherwise correct and accurate.

B0 should be the negative terminal of the first cell. 0v.
B1 is the positive terminal of the first cell. 3.7/4.2v.
B2 is positive terminal of cell 2. 7.4/84v.
And on until you reach B10 (pin 11), which is the positive terminal on the tenth cell. 37/42v.

As for the P- and C-, it depends on whether you want the BMS to control the discharge current or not.
If you wire it like you mentioned above, then the BMS has the ability to cut off the battery for whatever reason (overvoltage, overcurrent, overdischarge, overtemp, a cell out of balance, whatever), and you immediately lose all power AND all brakes. Not a great situation for a device with no handles or mechanical brakes other than you feet.

For those reasons, a lot of people choose to bypass their BMS’s discharge circuitry by bridging the connection between B- and P- with a thick gauge wire, so the BMS can’t shut you down.
It’s less safe for the battery, but more safe for the rider.
The BMS can still control charging and balancing, just not discharge.

3 Likes

20200830_153952|666x500

Anyone know what size charging plug this is? I think it is a 5.5x2.1 but I am not sure. Thanks!

Looks very much like 5.5x2.1

I’d put the chances at 5% that it’s a 5.5 x 2.5 and 95% that it’s a 5.5 x 2.1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRT5C2Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

@b264 are you sure? I have this 3.8/1.4 to 5.5/2.1 cable and it oddly looks more like the smaller of the two

Yellow plugs on the top are usually smaller than 5.5. That might be a 3.8

Edited: go with b264 on this one. Its a 5.5/2.1

1 Like

Then the solution is to measure it with calipers.

3 Likes

That’s partially true. You can have a yellow 5.5mm(od) but it will have a 3.4mm ID

2 Likes

The arrow mark doesn’t look the same. Perhaps move that arrow to the guy on the right?

Hint hint

Not sure what you mean? I pointed the 5.5/3.4 barrel

1 Like

Doesn’t match the O.P.

I know that :man_facepalming:
This was a response to your statement on yellow not corresponding to 5.5mm barrels
And the one right next to it is not the one you think. Its a 5.0/1.4. the correct one would be the cable on the side

I don’t recall saying they didn’t exist. I’ve only seen that type of plug on a 3.8 connector. The other one doesn’t look equivalent.

Like I said, was simply pointing out that there are 7 types of yellow connectors and 4 are 5.5mm or bigger.
I did point out a bit earlier that it seemed to be a 3.8/1.4 connector

Were basically turning in circles while both having the same end answer :rofl:

We are, but our eyes definitely see differently.

20200831_004532

@Leon I can 100% assure you that’s a 5.0mmOD 1.4mmID barrel jack (the one on the right that is)
The 3.8/1.4 is on the cable itself.

Its an adaptor to use all those connectors and the booklet stated all the dimensions

i love a gOOd chik fight…

carry on

1 Like

Maybe this might help.

The one I pointed out looks like the o.p. connector.

It could be different… but thats the aim.

I think a caliper is all he needs.

Go get some Tommy’s this might take a while

2 Likes

But you stated 3.8mm and now point to my 5.0mm?

or you girls can keep scratching each other’s eyes out

1 Like