Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Here’s a noob question. Just bought the vesc app (no idea why)
Can you not change batt amp, motor amp, and cutoff settings in the app? Couldn’t find those anywhere
The app even warns me that I didn’t set cutoff values but there wasn’t a place for that during the setup

I use these things secured with hot glue and then zippity ties:

7 Likes

Those are good, I also like these probably the most, because no glue

511vFsHAtqL.AC_SL1001

Also these

8114-pBlasL.AC_SL1500

6 Likes

Lol…you know what those are called?

:joy::wink:

4 Likes

You win?

2 Likes

Technically we all win. Collective knowledge

4 Likes

Alright need some advice here. Went to charge my batteries and got this on one of them.

Charger is only sensing 5s for this battery. I noticed some blackening on the red contact of battery balance lead. Cleaned it off but it didn’t work. So I’m assuming one of my cells is fucked, voltage is too low for charger, or the lead itself needs to be replaced. Thoughts?

1 Like

Can all be verified with a multimeter :slightly_smiling_face:
First 2 with voltage reads, last with a continuity test

1 Like

@Flasher Find this page from the app

1 Like

Good answer.

2 Likes

I’ll have another look at that page tmrw when I get up. Only had foc and hallsensor menus when I looked

I just repacked my battery pack
(ak unsolder the series wires and remake them with an other form factor)
and put it in the new enclosure which is quite thinner than the one i used before
I use a besteck D596 for both charge and decharge.

The battery was already almost charged so i used it until a good partial decharge state, and recharged it yesterday (afterthe whole thing cooled down)

At the end of the charge cycle i noticed than the emplacement of the BMS was fairly hot, i mesured the voltage then and it was 50.2ish V instead of 50.4, i cooled down realatively fast so i didn’t got paranoid,

Today i mesured the voltage again and it’s barelly 50v, the whole thing is cool and seems to behave normally.

Was that a normal tentative from the BMS to partially discharge and balance, or do i have to worry ?
I never noticed the bms was getting so warm while charging, but i previously used a 3D printed enclosure with a good 1cm50 so it was more insulated.

2 Likes

The bms balances the cells by basically discharging them until they are in line with each other. The simplest way to do this is by consuming current to produce heat, which is what you’ve seen. If you’ve not used that battery in a while it’s possible it wasn’t very balanced to begin with, which means more balancing needed from the bms.

Everything’s normal, but if you notice some p groups consistently charge faster than the others over time you will want to look into it

I thought this kind of bms was doing the opposite : when the first pgroup get to the limit, charging slowly the other ones.
Hmmm… I guess discharging is easier
Thank you

1 Like

most of us don’t run discharge BMS, so the BMS can’t even limit the discharge if that was the feature

Hi! My friend bought many years ago this shitboard (
http://goclever.com/en/city-board-65-cyclops-black ). A few days ago he asked me if I can repair it… He lost remote, idk how, lol. But… I found that remote is integrated in ESC. Photo here

Bad photo, I will make another.

Also, I found how that remote looked -

Have you any idea which remote I should buy? Or I have to buy new china ESC?

Thanks!

EDIT: Here is another photo

I wrote producer and he didn’t response. Also, all phone numbers are deleted.

1 Like

No, i mean: when on pgrouo reach 4.20v then charging the other pgroups at 500mA using the balance wires.

But now than i think about it, you can get a more accurate reading of the actual voltage of a battery when discharging at a constant rate than when you charge them

1 Like

You got 2 thick wires passing from the charging port, through the bms to the ends of your battery. Those are carrying whatever current you charge with. For the bms it’s way easier to cut the power, drain the problematic p group and turn the power back on than somehow redirect a small portion of that current through the very thin balance leads.

Keep in mind most bms circuits can handle over 10A charge, but balance (drain) at something like 50mA, yet you still feel that 50mA of heat when you touch it

2 Likes

Does anyone know if the @Boardnamics 220 clamp works wtih the matrix mounts?

Hmm I don’t have one on hand unfortunately