Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

The % is in voltage…

@luis99945

Nah, you won’t even get that far.

Another name for a BLDC motor is a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor. That means the ESC must perform commutations in sync with the motor’s rotation to work. And it’s impossible for one ESC to be in sync with two motors at once.

The only possible way this could work is if you mechanically time the motors to each other, with gears or other means, so that both motors always turn in perfect sync so they always both match each other and the ESC. And then you basically just have one big motor with split windings, and more complexity for no reason.

5 Likes

That’s part of it, probably.

Proper RF modules used in most remotes also are probably more powerful, and definitely more reliable, because they don’t have to share airspace with the 900MHz, 1800MHz, 2.4Ghz wifi, 5.8GHz wifi, and soon to be 5G radios that are all also in your phone.

Also your phone is running a far more extensive suite of software than a remote, so just going by probability it’s more likely to run into a bug or error that might fuck up that time-sensitive remote stuff and cause a crash or disconnection.

Also I’d much rather have a $50 hunk of cheap plastic remote in my hand when I crash than my nice expensive cell phone with a glass screen. Just saying.

And you have far more granular and responsive control with a trigger or thumb nub or whatever than you will ever achieve with volume buttons.

And battery life.

And, and, and. So many reasons.

6 Likes

cut the shrinkwrap off

1 Like

If you are doing this, please make a thread for it so others can find it when they search.

However, I strongly suspect this will not make a great esk8 hand controller. Make sure you wear a helmet and wrist/elbow/knee protection.

2 Likes

The current going into the phase wires is a series of insanely short pulses of on and off, on all 3 wires, and need to be timed perfectly based on the position of the magnets, and the shafts of the two motors would not only need to be locked together and unable to turn independently, but also be perfectly calibrated as far as the angle of the magnets to the stator poles would need to be locked together — which would be like one motor with two halves, and not practical.

4 Likes

How brushless motors and esc work https://youtu.be/uOQk8SJso6Q

1 Like

@b264 Hey is this the silicone you use inside your enclosures?

2 Likes

That’s what he suggested to me. The 2*+, like you have, is the one.

1 Like

Thanks man

I thought that was a protective cover?

@jwy it isn’t a very reliable way to control. How do you differentiate between half and full speed with the volume keys?

@ricco put an emergency remote control via his lighting control app. I haven’t had to use it ever but played with it on the bench and thought it could be cool if my remote died far from home.

Not connected to board atm though so I can’t show the full interface

What benefit do keyways provide for our motors? Are there shafts/pulleys available that don’t use them?

1 Like

They transmit the entire torque from a round shaft to a round pulley? Other options are D bore or some that rely on grub screws alone (not recommended)

Right, i understand the purpose of the keyway, I just dont know why there arent more D bore options, or if there was some reason they don’t seem to be as common.

2 Likes

Rather than relying on set screws/grubs and Loctite only, keys provide mechanical resistance to rotational force.

One step further (for me, at least) is the D-type shaft, where a flat spot on the shaft and a flat spot on the motor pulley lock together and set screws take care of side-to-side movement resistance.

2 Likes

Same here, as I find it clearly superior.

1 Like

Total noob question on my part but why does most esk8 companies do the weirdest sales? Like for example:

I want to buy the hub motors only for my skateboard and make it a AWD beast, but they sell the front trucks and the hubs, but when I look at their website, they usually sell the AT hub wheels without the front trucks and even offer you one with the front trucks…

I think that’s just dumb since I only want the hubs and not the full set…

Welp, I may have to spend another $400 and not even use the trucks.

… what?
Soo… you want just the hubs… as in, hub motors with sleeves that usually fit only in specific trucks?

But presumably you already have 2 of them and a compatible empty truck for the other 2, and the company is not selling you 2 hubs alone?
Or you want just the powered truck of the pair and the company only sells a complete set of 2?

1 Like

@Athrx as promised, here is the metr log for a short 600M that I tested CC:

road is relatively flat, and i’ve avoided all pothole, not sure if this is what u wanted

2 Likes