Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

@Komamtb my extra buttons are on triggers. But you could have a look at @DerelictRobot products. He’s planning a new way to control the lights

1 Like

I bought this remote and it has an extra switch to toggle the lights. I have not played with the feature yet though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L498PZR?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

1 Like

@Waddles I like how scalpers keep rebranding Winning remotes :joy:

The new maytech split trigger remotes have this too.

Separate brake and accel ftw. I can’t wait to fully trust reverse fw

2 Likes

Had no idea. Who made the original? I took advantage of Amazon for some parts because impatient.

What happens if i run discharge through a charge/discharge bms with separate ports and i hit over 50.4v (12s) voltage while braking?
Bestech bms rated for 80A to be precise. I want to know if i can trust it obviously

Hi everyone. Can someone please tell me if I can use the other ports on my vesc 4 for my bluetooth module or my vx1 reciever? The problem is they both use the same port on my vesc so now I can’t use both simultaneously. Well, thats a bummer…
Thanks for your help!!

You could alternatively run the Vx1 in PPM mode, and use the 3 pin ppm connector - you’d have to solder it or make an adapter

You’d also need to run PPM setup in vesc tool to configure the proper start and stop pulsewidths. Once you’ve done setup for ppm input, then you go to the general tab and set it to UART and PPM and it will take input from PPM and still output to the bluetooth module

2 Likes

Could you explain this a little more please?

@Ricco makes a uart splitter (usplit) so you can run 2 devices off one uart port. Perhaps this would solve it if you don’t want to rewire for PPM control. Uart and ppm are 2 different ways the remote communicates with the esc.

1 Like

The vesc has a 3 pin port, different than all the other ones on the board that have jst connectors. Basically you take three wires from the standard Vx1 wiring and connect those to the PPM port instead of the UART one

The Vx1 has the wiring diagram included in the manual that shows you how to wire PPM instead of UART

1 Like

Dig into the vesc tool based on what was said and it will probably make more sense ask a specific question if stuck some where in particular. Basically you can have different input controls and telemetry output from the VESC (PPM for input and UART for telemetry data out) this way the Bluetooth gets exclusive access to the uart it needs to read data and write config and the controller/receiver you use just needs to have the signal go into vesc on different lines (the ppm/pwm ones). Then as @ShutterShock said enable both uart & ppm in the general application tab in vesc tool and it will do both… When using ppm for input need to calibrate the high and low points.

1 Like

Yeah this is basically how my first board ran for the last 2.5yrs, had my GT2b on PPM and bluetooth module on UART

Yah I do the same uart for Bluetooth metr module and custom receiver for custom remote as ppm input it works well. Nice that in metr logs can see the ppm data too now so can be sure that receiver input looks good and see what it does when receiver disconnects or transmitter is running low on power.

1 Like

Not recommended to use uart mode remote through the usplit.

6 Likes

Yep… That’s… Well, yep.

5 Likes

Thought I remembered seeing this somewhere but wasn’t sure.

This is one benefit of having canbus on a dual esc, only need one UART for the remote, then the other is free for metr or whatever

2 Likes

Mine doesnt have a 3 pin port…

Pics? It should… It’s more of a connector than a port

The BMS stops accepting charge and you lose all braking power.

Moral of the story is, don’t go down hills if your battery is nearly full.