Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

The Carver is nice, just a bit slim

Huh…I saw the dark color and thought CF, my bad I guess

But how well does it absorb vibration?

1 Like

Mostly fibreglass. They say there is basalt in there too, probably on the outer faces.

I assume you’ll be running pneumatics on a flexi deck… vibrations aren’t really gonna be a thing. Diminished response will be though, and the only way to get around that is with a stiffer deck.

What do you mean by diminished response? I don’t go fast at all, maybe 25mph absolute tops (I don’t think I go above 21mph on most rides) so no worries about speed wobbles really, I just need it to turn decently

But I suppose this in 12 ply? The +5° tips and shorter base should give better turning right? (I run yellow shock blocks and turning still sucks)

1 Like

thanks I’ll pick some up at the hobby shop next time I’m there…

old sk00l RC body mount pins…

:wink:

1 Like

you lose steering response as a flexi board absorbs some of your lean energy

1 Like

Just reaction time or do you loose radius too?

you have to force more energy into a flexy board to get it to turn equally to a stiff board…

1 Like

Ah damnit

no free lunches

BTW the kaly boards can be bouncy… but they are torsionally stiff… so they carve quite well…
I’ve got a stiff kaly and while not what I would call her a flexi-board she is supple enough to absorb road shock but stiff enough to carve well

Hmm, I wonder why it has good torsion resistance…I suspect the segmented enclosure is what does it?

negative ghost rider…

the ABS enclosure adds little rigidity… It’s the construction and the width

1 Like

Weave direction in the layup

4 Likes

Does the Trampa stuff inherit those properties?

Trampa’s seem to twist a lot more. I would assume that the wings on the kaly help with the torsional aspect too.

3 Likes

YUP

2 Likes

Ugh that’s upsetting…I hate the look of the wings and ends. But no accounting for bad taste I suppose

1 Like

I like to ride flexi boards sometimes…

and sometimes I like a stiff ride…
I haven’t ridden a million boards like some here have, the absolute stiffest board I’ve ridden is my Century 40… that’s like riding an iron girder… but so-so precise steering input to response…

BTW
giphy (28) @ZachTetra
I just went and jumped on the middle of the kaly…

and I “think” i heard the first discernable beginnings of a crack on the ABS enclosure…

:crazy_face: :doughnut: :crazy_face:

2 Likes