Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Does higher current charging result in a less “full” charge?

My understanding is a CC/CV charger stops charging when the current drops below some threshold. so presumably chargers could have a different threshold.

I remember reading somewhere some charges threshold is a percent of their charge rate. so a higher amperage chargers would have an earlier shutoff.

My Tb6b charger has a fast charge and a charge mode. the fast charge mode appears to stop at a lower voltage than the regular charge mode. I could do some more experiments there though.

No, but it can reduce cell (battery) lifetime

Near the end of the charge, all chargers will charge at the same speed in the later parts of the CV stage.

Correct, higher amperage chargers will switch to CV mode at a lower (earlier) SOC (state of charge)

That might be an implementation detail of that specific charger, but is not a theoretical disadvantage to higher rate charging in general

1 Like

where are you located?
Try to ask @bigben if he has anything for that deck, him and eboosted are the only ones i think of, who make it a business to make and sell deck specific enclosures

3 Likes

right but what point “stops” the charge. my understanding is it’s a point where the resulting current in the CV stage drops below some threshold. is that correct? if so do all chargers use the same threshold?

I believe @mmaner has built on a top speed using one of my 9two5 enclosures. Fitted like a glove.

3 Likes

Man, i can’t seem to pass 56km/h. Every time i reach it and keep throttling my board drifts to the right making it super sketchy

1 Like

Yes that is 100% correct

I have no idea. I think it may be around 50mA but I don’t know if they are all the same. Also there are float chargers and trickle chargers, and the trickle ones I don’t think cutoff at any current level.

1 Like

@Ingvarjedi there you have it, plus if you are in Europe, that will be another reason to jump on it.

The grease makes it a little tricky to assess but it looks good to me.

2 Likes

Thanks my G. My understanding is that if it is not perfect, it is better to be a bit tight than too loose.

2 Likes

Hi
Is there any reason why I get a abs error when using current mode and not duty cycle? I have a flipsky 6.6 water cooled
Settings
Motor 60
Battery 99
Absolute max 120
Brake -13
Regen-13

This will happen when I go over half throttle loaded and wheels off the ground! Duty cycle I haven’t ever had abs error.

I’ve built my little boy a electric mx bike with a converted alternator to run as a motor so not the most practical motor I know
Cheers
Adam

I‘d give it a tick more room, but better closer than too lose.

4 Likes

What battery is it? You should probably lower Battery Max

Increase Absolute Max to 150 or the highest it will allow you to raise it, and if it’s an esk8 and not an ebike then in the advanced tab lower fault stop time to 40ms. For an ebike the default of 500ms is fine

1 Like

The battery is 18650 in 10s6p I am not to worried about damaging them as have lots of packs but will drop the battery currant and raise the absolute max up. The esc came with firmware without limits but I flashed the default just to be safe

Also one thing to add is sometimes when it does it the error abs doesn’t Get logged and just gets stuck at 160amps and will need a reset to get going again! Not sure if that’s a bug in the software?

If you’re not using HFI, then I would recommend trying Ackmaniac software and BLDC mode.

HFI sensor[less] mode is the only reason I use newer firmware versions.

I think I’m ready to come out of rookie
settings. Any suggestions, I’m thinking
MAX BATTERY 100A
MAX REGEN -35A I want brakes to be a little stronger.
MAX MOTOR 90A
MAX BRAKE CURRENT 70A
6380 170KV
12s6p 30q
47/16T
150x50 wheels

True story, I miss that board too.

1 Like

Both esc erpm limits are the same number?
True motor kv too different maybe?

1 Like

“Battery Current Max Regen”

:arrow_up: this is high-speed brake strength
:arrow_down: this is low-speed brake strength

“Motor Current Max Brake” and also this MUST be negative

1 Like