Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

but that would require to spend even more money. More, than just a simple receiver for 15 bucks.

oh, okay… nevermind… sorry

Trust me your are focusing on the wrong priority.

1 Like

So my goal is to have even control on both vescs so the wheels keep the same pace unlike the video i posted but keep the possibility to program both (i need to change voltages mid- ride)

Unfortunately I can’t get a refund because it was already shipped to me.

Looks like I’m going to be buying a new battery.

When I was doing research I saw that I had options if either LiPo or Lithium Ion, if I have a budget of around $130 what would everyone suggest getting?

I realize now that a legit 10S4P lithium ion is going to run me close to $350 - $400 which is out of my budget now with the $210 I spent on this terrible 10S4P battery I purchased.

2 Likes

Sounds like a band-aid instead of fixing the issue. just sayin

And what would be the real solution?

E: it wasn’t supposed to sound like i only want to spend 15 bucks but rather: If CAN is the cause for the fucky vesc to vesc communication i could overcome that by buying a 15€ receiver and control them in a dual receiver or split pwm whatever.

1 Like

If you’re in the US, I can make you a battery for you, 10s4p 30Q would run you a little less than $350, but a P42A pack of the same capacity would be under $300, and if you want the shitty 10s3p 30Q block maybe $180? PM me if you’re interested

2 Likes

I think you can set it up with CAN connected but not being controlled via CAN throttle messages. I think it works that way if you disable can status message mode on all vescs.

Then you can dual receiver and still use bluetooth -> vesc1 then CAN -> vesc2 for config.

hmm. now I wish there was clear docs or I was better at using the source.

3 Likes

thats exactly the direction i was going for.

My assumption is that CAN is the main cause for both my problems.

Running split pwm or dual receiver (redundancy huehue) while still being able to program both vescs via CAN/metr

What exactly is hard to use with the SK3 6374?

I’d suggest selling that crappy pack to someone who doesn’t need any more power, and then using the money you make from the sale to pad your budget.

DIY esk8 is an expensive enterprise to get into, and the battery is the heart of any EV project. Suck it up and make the outlay for a good battery, and it will serve you for a long time.

Try to save a hundred bucks, and you will have a bad time, like you are right now.

2 Likes

They’re not “hard to use”. It’s harder to take apart and service them though. They are hard to work on, not hard to use.

Also I don’t think the SK3 6374s have sensors built in so you’re stuck with sensorless unless you want to either take it apart and add them, or mount them externally.

2 Likes

Thanks! Looks like I’m going to go with TorqueBoards 6374.

Also, where are the best places to get mounts. What I tried doing w/ my last setup was 3d-printing w/ the enertion motor mount file (not really rigid). What would be a good alternative for this then?

1 Like

Buy some proper aluminum ones. There are a ton of different sellers, and a ton of different styles for different setups, with a ton of different profiles to fit different trucks. I can’t narrow all that down for ya because I don’t have all your requirements etc, so time to go digging.

Will do, I have it listed but I’m not sure how long it will take to sell.

I have another 10S2P pack from a prebuilt Dual hub motor board that has a broken connection somewhere in the BMS so I am going to buy a new BMS to fix that one and sell it as well to help my battery budget.

1 Like

When I tried to run the remote calibration with the VESC tool I was never able to get the real time app data to show so I didn’t calibrate the remote.

there are values u need to set in the remote to get “telemetry” data

I contacted the seller on Etsy and he said that the pack is made with Sony US18650GR G7 cells

1 Like

Do I need the real time app data feedback in order to set up the remote or am I able to do it without that info? I have the Flipsky VX1 and I’m able to connect the remote to the board no problem but the VESC tool can’t see it for some reason.