Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

oh wait sorry, i thought u had vx2. that was not the case, the only setting u will be able to config on vx1 is just 6-12S battery setting

The max discharge is 4.8 amp but recommended not to exceed 3 amp these cells are not for high current use. Old model likely ex laptop battery.

1 Like

If your remote isnt calibrated, this would explain why you arent getting to full speed. You need to calibrate real time in vesc tool

That’s a really good idea that never occurred to me

1 Like

Yeah, not only are those shitty cells for this application (they’re designed for like laptops n other low discharge applications, not EVs), but they’re also only 2400mah which doesn’t add up with the 10.8Ah pack rating. 10.8 divided by four is 2.7, not 2.4.

Basically not only do those numbers add up, but even setting that aside, those cells are an awful choice for an electric skateboard.

You might be able to get away with them in a giant (10p or more) ebike battery, but they are woefully inadequate for esk8.

5 Likes

@iguanahotsauce I just want to give a second opinion in case you don’t believe just one person.

Don’t use those cells for an esk8 or any electric vehicle, you will destroy the battery and make it junk.

You should sell that battery while it still is fully functional and valuable.

Those cells are good for about 480mA (or 1920mA in a 4P configuration), and you really don’t want to use cells at their maximum rating. In a one-motor setup you’d probably need to set your “battery maximum” at 2A and your “battery minimum (regen)” at -1A. In a two motor configuration, you’d need to set those at 1A and -0.5A, respectively.

That’s not just underpowered, that’s ridiculously crazy ludicrously underpowered.

Don’t even try it.

At very very best, it would be an “electric assist” skate with almost no brakes. At worst, it’d last one ride before the battery is junk or burns down in a big fire.

4 Likes

well done kidz… all g00d science… but I vote for big fire…

:volcano: :volcano:

2 Likes

how do people end up buying batteries from Etsy? my 1st page of google search result with “electric skateboard battery” returned with below results:

1. fuck mboards
  2. chinese no-name brand amazon link
  3. aliexpress
  4. meepo
  5. torqueboards

just how?

1 Like

They probably go on google shopping and sort by cheapest.

5 Likes

I was originally looking on amazon at LiPo batteries along with a balance charger and I figured I would do a google search for 18650 electric skateboard battery packs and it came up as one of the suggested links in google shopping.

I’m wishing that I would have stuck with the LiPo batteries now instead of buying this pack as it would have been at least half way decent, now I regret my decisions.

Anyone know where the best place to sell this pack would be? I have it listed on craigslist but I have a feeling people in my local area aren’t going to be very interested.

Weird. I get normal results that don’t include frauds as a first choice :thinking::joy:

1 Like

Google shopping, not google proper. Two suspicious blue Etsy packs right at the top.

1 Like

@MysticalDork I see… But I still got mildly decent results with the shopping version

Maybe it keeps track of my preferred search sites? I’m on the beta version with automatic data upload

Google gives different results for each person. If you want to compare search results based on query alone and not query+spy_history then you need to look at duckgo searches

2 Likes

it would seems that everyone who wants a bomb already has them

1 Like

@kook have you ever seen the guy who got arrested at the airport for the steampunk watch he made and wore?

watch-bomb-airport-geoff-mcgann

2 Likes

no… but me personally I would have felt responsible if TSA missed himmm

yeah… then I’d have pointed that bitch out…

Send it back when it reaches you, if possible.

If you are a pro at soldering, you could use battery clips. Be aware that only the “clamp” type have a decent chance of surviving dozens of amps, the spring/coil ones are simply shit.

Also be aware that those clips are not at all space efficient.

Solder 12/14awg wire through or on top of the terminals with loads of solder without leaving blobs on the contact patch or whiskers, use the pins on the other side for balance wires and you’re golden.
I made a 12s3p in less than £150, foam and tape included

Unfortunately, it sounds like he’s already received it and tried to run it with 198 battery amps (99 per vesc), which is what prompted his original question.

1 Like