Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Well that sucks, is there anything I can do with this pack to fix the issue such as changing out the BMS or are the cells themselves also not great?

1 Like

Have you tried dual PWM yet? (with two radio receivers)

Anyone here tried charging with no bms for short periods?

My bms shit the bed, a replacement is on the way from china, but only a week in and the transport fees start to sting (£9.80 a day from £3.30 or 0, depending on morning weather)

You can, as long as you monitor your pack it’s okay. I would check the p-group voltages every few days if it’s possible.

It’s not 100% safe, and the more charge cycles that go by, the less good it is. For small numbers of cycles, it’s totally fine. Checking that the p-groups are in balance resets this.

Just not using a BMS and never checking anything for months is a very bad idea.

1 Like

I have not. Mainly because flipsky wouldn’t sell the receiver standalone and had “no reason” to spend the money on a second mini receiver.

The question is how it works with my setup.

My vescs are connected via can but mainly for a can based product. So when using dual PWM how would i go about the can device that communicates with both.

I did it before it shipped so I’m not sure if they will let you return it

pull the CAN-cable out… disconnect it… control both vescs like two singles…

1 Like

well i only can use the device via can. Its a can based product

ok then nevermind sorry

1 Like

This is the correct answer LoL

If this can’t be done, then address that problem :rofl:

1 Like

But how would you program the other vesc then if you are riding. You’d have to buy two dongles?

you could connect CAN but configure it to not control other vescs via CAN.

that makes sense. Have to check if that would work with the can based device.

Poor quality cells is the problem. Low discharge and sag city.

See if you can get a refund and have one of the proper builders here hook you up. A shit battery drags down all the gear hooked up to it, while a quality pack gives everything a chance to shine.

2 Likes

whats the consensus again?

Single receiver, 2 vesc via can
Dual Receiver, each vesc 1? no CAN
1 receiver, no can, both vescs connected to the one receiver?

what is this word you’ve found? is it some magic german word?

2 Likes

maybe not the perfect word for the question, it just felt right.

1 Like

sry, I was being sarcastic. as in consensus is a magic thing that doesn’t always happen around a lot of topics. possibly this one.

Honestly I really like consensus. but the jaded part of me is sick of how hard it is sometimes.

2 Likes

Maybe summary would’ve fit better.

The 2 receivers confused me, gonna read into the topic a bit more.

how about a 4wd board:

• two HW4 variants on the front axle connected to one receiver and connected by CAN, and
  • two HW6 variants on the rear axle connected to each other by CAN, but also by their own unique independent receiver?
2 Likes