Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Not if your sensible about you gearing and riding style.

damnit. I worry my 12s prototipo build is gonna need a heatsink. which doesn’t fit… or you gotta cut the pretty stuff. but no one does it. and I do concern how much thermal management I’ll lose getting rid of the aluminum mounting plate that people ditch from the prototipo when they build 12s in there. I think you gain some going from focbox to unity… but… is it enough?

Does someone know what this high pitch noise from the motor is? Happens at around 25mph+

1 Like

Do you run 4x4 could it be torque differential

I am running 4wd. I’ll see how it sounds on 2wd

Could be harmonic vibrations, or the vescs may be shifting their switching frequency or something to accommodate the higher ERPMs. Doesn’t sound bad, like a rattling can or a bad bearing would.

1 Like

One of my suspicions is firmware. I’ll try to isolate the noise. Might just be time for new motors

1 Like

Most likely the speed at which it hits the maximum 95% duty cycle. noise byproducts are inevitable anyway

2 Likes

I was building a nese module (I was starting and I forgot to isolate a tab and by accident the bar from the negative touched the positive and closed the circuit which produced a spark, it took no time to separate them, my batteries were at 3.53v, which closed the circuit died (0v) the others kept their voltage or vario by 0.01 I had asked for extra batteries that I planned to use in an 8s2p construction so I replaced them with those and I put aside the ones from the incident; do you think they can still be used?

I wouldn’t but there is a few YouTube videos on how to reset the safety tab in the top of most 18650

3 Likes

If it’s designed to break the circuit, it should probably not be overridden Just need a disclaimer here that resetting that can be a large fire hazard

3 Likes

It doesn’t happen at the same speed, could be duty cycle related though. Seems like it’s mostly above 25+ (geared for 35+) and under power. Have had firmware issues in the past, could be that. I’ll try some things

1 Like

I don’t care about the dead battery, (the one with voltage 0) but the other eight if I would like to be able to use them together with other eight new ones for the 8s2p only I don’t know if they will reduce the useful life or it would be good not to use those and buy 16 in time of 8

I’ve got a 12s proto custom build with a Unity and have not had temperature issues but my build is TB direct drives, so I’m more worried about the drives than the ESC.

1 Like

I am 220lbs and I can definitely overheat the pair of focboxes in stock 10s setup if I climb any of the local hills.

1 Like

I have this too when going full throttle / very high rpm in the motor.
Imho there’s nothing to dislike about it :slight_smile: when riding slow its silent, when riding fast it screams like an F1

In understand if it annoys you and sorry if I missed some other noise. It seemed normal to me!

5 Likes

It’s loud in person. You just reminded me. If I heard correctly during last weeks ride there was a distinct switching from off to on. Before that I was riding top speed with no issue since I thought it was normal drive train noise. After, I feel like the rug is going to pulled up from under me. Wasn’t that loud before, since then and I’ve done maintenance on the motors, switched a lot of parts and also changed firmware… if I figure it out I’ll follow up

1 Like

There were some problems before if you put battery amps higher than motor amps.
Basically as soon as battery amps reach motor amps max value, both battery and motor amps jump to the highest set value, abruptly.
Let’s say you put max 40 motor amps and 60 battery amps
As soon as you have a speed high enough to use 40 battery amps, you immediately get all 60 battery amps as 60 motor amps and get a nasty kick in power at high speed.
Lower difference in values may only change the sound you hear from motors though

3 Likes

Me too, and I can’t. Can you tell me more about your setup?

1 Like

stock lacroix prototipo DSS50+ I’ve done it repeatedly on two different boards. would love to not do that.

10s5p 20700b
dual focbox,
dual 6374 Lacroix “not maytech”. (but maytech?) motors.
16T/62T 160mm, 175mm, 200mm tires.
socal temps always start at 25c

“closed up enclosure”

ESCs are bolted to an aluminum mounting plate / thermal mass

a recent ride where i got it up to 89c. but I wasn’t climbing the hills that usually overheats it.

3 Likes