Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Yes

Yes, and possibly

2 Likes

It’s almost certainly a 3.00mmx3.00mm key

Length can be shorter with little ill effects, maybe some rattle. Put Loctite or superglue on it so it doesn’t rattle and make all kinds of noises

2 Likes

I’d honestly look in the packing material for the keys

@haggyboard.timo is gUUd about dat shit…

If you’re so RC and zoom-zoom goKart guy, why you look. See, two parts that ask for a key… But you put them together with no key…

I’m super confused…

BTW
Most keys are 3mm

2 Likes

Ya I was surprised they weren’t there, but then in the instructional video they had I didnt see the keys either. I got the speed controllers working with my Tango 2 though I still have to play with the curves as I’m not used to using my controller to drive me! But its all working with two 150A YEP ESCs from hobbyking. 2 of those is still a fair bit cheaper than some of the VESC clones I see others here using. We’ll see how well they hold up

2 Likes

K00l story

Have fun and be safe…

And think…when it’s obvious i know it’s hard… But just think!

1 Like

These are generally ok for delivering power but suck for braking.

2 Likes

Gotcha - I havent programed in the braking yet, it doesnt seem on by default. I’ll have to play with that once the board rolls.

I do have one more question - does anyone use their phone for a controller? I have a few espruino boards a friends gave me that I’m considering using to control the motor controllers. I have some webpages to control them for rc cars, so I could probably modify those to work with this. I’m not trying to break any speed records or anything, just cruize arond town so I’m less worried about not having a snapback throttle.

Hehe - and @kook I was thinking! About the neighbors/family I dont want to wake up with the angle grinder :slight_smile:

DO NOT go blacksmith on a perfect system you need $2 worth of parts, or they’re in the box

i’m out… @fessyfoo here is your next apprentice…

2 Likes

I’ll second this advice

4 Likes

protip: if you can’t find a 3mm key, you can break off a piece of the chuck end of a 3mm drill bit, and use that. Wear eye protection while breaking it.

3 Likes

preferably with a knife and fork. i have a napkin to wipe it after too

1 Like

LoL

With safety glasses, a vice, two rags, and some pliers preferably

1 Like

it’d be easier to tell him about the magic loctite…

but I feel it’swell above his paygrade… he’d loctite the bearings and blame us…

watch
I’ve seen it hapen…

if he’s smart enuff to actually read this, and research himself, then vaya con dios
honestly, between you and @fessyfoo i do not comprehend your patience… I myself cannot suffer the fool…

3 Likes

don’t forget you have to put a light-day tampon in your mouth, or bad juju will happen…

2 Likes

I cant find the specs on the shaft key slot (the website has the motor shaft as flat and not keyed 6374-190kv-sealed-electric-skateboard-motor-with-sensors ) so I’ll go try and measure it and see what to buy.

Easy @kook , I used loctite on the two set screws on each rear sprocket, but the kit didnt come with a key or mention it in the instructions. I think because the shaft might be flat in the other motors they sell and thus dont work with keys.

'preciate the help all

1 Like

ever try email?
understanding the global time differential?
i’m sure timo knows 100 x more than a buncha k00ks on the interwebs…

isn’t the haggy uses the D shape shaft?

1 Like

well there ya go… see my point…

thanks

I don’t like using Loctite for that. It’s not very serviceable, and just generally sucks.

I prefer a piece of metal…

1 Like

Haggy’s motor shafts are 8mm d-type, so they don’t use keyways.

They’re made to be used with these d-type motor pulleys. (I personally prefer d-type over all other shaft options.)

1 Like