Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

If I’m using the Uart (comm) port for a remote (vx2) on my ESC (flipsky mini4.2), how do you hook up Bluetooth module?
Can I just splice the wires (5v,-,tx,rx) together?
Or can I only use a basic pwm remote?

The loaded speed is calculated based on the efficiency value selected.
The default is 90% on both the 3ds and esk8.news calculators but you can change it to your liking.

and not loaded is 100% efficient?

In this case yes, you will have some losses in the real world but for the calculator 100% efficiency will give you the same loaded and unloaded speed.

1 Like

One of my favorite long-format Youtube creators.

1 Like

Are you using a single vesc or a dual (or two singles)?

If you are using a single vesc you will need to use a pwm remote to use the bluetooth module on the uart, connecting 2 devices to the same uart is not possible without external hardware (the usplit can do it but it is not recommended to use with the remote)

If you have a dual vesc (or two singles) you connect the remote to one uart port and the bluetooth to the other and connect the two vescs using the CAN bus.
Here you can use either pwm or uart for the remote.

1 Like

so u can run focbox in FOC mode and not have issued with heat? as apposed to a Tb 4.12 vesc?

Thank you! That is kinda what I was thinking. Guess I’ll have to make a decision (only using one vesc) fancy remote or fancy Bluetooth

1 Like

Vx2 is far from the definition of fancy.
Vx1 does the job as well, you got battery levels (the only thing you would need realistically) and everything else is in the vesc tool through the bluetooth module you can now fit.

1 Like

@Athrx did you click “apply” then “Write Motor Configuration” to write the Cycle Integrator Limit and BEMF Coupling and hall sensor values?

Did you try using those 2 values to spin it up in BLDC unsensored mode? Does that work?

Yes and yes.
Now with a fully charged battery i get the 255 error again. Seems to only detect under 10s voltage… tf
And no, bldc unsensored is not an option for me

I know, but trying it is a good troubleshooting step regardless.

2 Likes

I ran into a weird issue on my new trampa build, it should be able to hit at least 32 mph but I can’t get it to go over 26. The setup is:

8 inch tires (measured 193mm)
66 tooth wheel pulley
13 tooth motor pulley
TB 6374 190kv motors
12s8p HG2 pack

These are the results from the calc:

I don’t know what’s going on. I have taken it out on a full charge and maxed out at maybe 27 mph…

@JoeyZ5 what efficiency did you input? Probably that you put it too high and therefore you won’t reach the right numbers

3 Likes

I just left it at 90% but I feel that shouldn’t make that much of a difference. If it was all because of miscalculated efficiency then the real value would be at 70-75% and I find that hard to believe. My old board was calculated at 34 mph and I could easily hit 32 mph.

For this, maybe knock 15% to 20% off the default polyurethane efficiency number

5 Likes

As Brian stated, you’re running 8inch. 90% is waaaaaay too high. That’s dreaming of ken and being undressed everywhere

4 Likes

Yea it seems like the jump from 6 inch to 8 inch really hurt my efficiency, I was able to get 85-90% on six inch. But now that I’m thinking about it, when I hit top speed it feels like hitting a solid top speed wall like an ERPM limit. Even with a nearly dead battery I can still hit around 26 mph which leads me to believe I might have set an ERPM limit.

1 Like

Some of the inserts I glued into the drilled holes of my deck fell out again, after mounting the enclosure with screws (6 out of 20).
I have let the glue dry for 24h hours or more.
Did I use too little glue?
I’m worried that if I use to much glue, it ends up right where the thread of the screw will be going in, blocking the screw from turning deeper…

Any ideas what to do?
Can send a picture If needed.

Should I maybe just replace them with real wooden inserts that I treat with the glue and then screw into the deck? I’m sure they will hold better…

I’d say get the proper inserts instead of the ones that are made for plastic enclosures.
If the ones you have now pop out on a test ride even if they’re stuck on using glue, they WILL fail at some point and you will have a bad time.

The wood inserts have a mechanical advantage over the ones made for plastic, get those instead and use some epoxy or superglue when installing them.

Some parts are just not worth cheaping out on, especially if you only save a few euros.

2 Likes