Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Yes, in newer software versions it is.

1 Like

feel like a idiot here lol. Trying to calculate what kv and gear ratio I need for my drive upgrade. But there is no calculators that works just with gear ratio. I know the ratio but I have no idea how many teeths the gears have.

Its a Trampa setup so 198mm wheels and looking at the Fatboy SS mini

If you only know the gear ratio, than put 1 for motor pulley and 2.57 or whatever the gear ratio is in the wheel pulley box. You can use the calculator linked in the top bar of this site.

2 Likes

well shit that was simple :joy: dunno why I didn’t think of this haha well then what I thought was wrong is in fact correct. 82km/h loaded speed haha might need to go down on kv.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this has been asked before, but I don’t know what the name of this… How do I remove this thing there on the shaft?

C clip / Circlip / Sprengring

circlip-pliers-bent-internal-bent-external-7

3 Likes

You need to use circlip pliers to get those on and off.

PROTIP: do not stretch them

• more than you need to to slide them on the axle
  • for longer than you need to to install or remove them

unless you want to buy more because they are stretched out now and broken. They are not like springs :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Also, I suppose you could imagine doing this in reverse

I don’t think there is a thread yet for disassembling

Maybe you make one? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

@Lee_Wright actually made a nice video about disassembly and battle hardening
https://youtu.be/u87m7RJ-Pr8?t=4m34s

2 Likes

Warning It does contain a suitable amount of whinging pom…

3 Likes

LoL noice

But not on esk8 news. I hate videos, I can consume text and photos more quickly, and I assume the same for other folks here. Videos take too fucking long to get all the information out of them.

I can read a post in seconds when a video takes ten fucking minutes, sometimes with an ad first, and scrolling around and shit

And if it’s on instagram/facebook FUGGET ABOUT IT, you fucked, just pretend it doesn’t exist because the video player there is beyond worthless

/rant

at least YouTube has a high-quality playback agent

4 Likes

He should have added to not lose the tiny motor shim that sits at the bottom of the shaft :expressionless:

Having used the milliput, I’d honestly recommend something more viscous. It’s like a dryer play doh. It was a damn mess and the thin areas dry quickly. I even had my wife helping me to cut down on exposure time.

2 Likes

Yep, milliput seems easy to work with but not sure how easy it is to get it in all the small crevices.
Epoxy seems a bit too messy.

2 Likes

you only get limited chances to get them out and save the motor. the screw won’t survive.

use the tools @b264 suggested.

if it was able to strip out the hole with a hex key. it’s often tight enough to strip out the make shift slot. and it leaves less material for the proper tool to grab. use the ones like @b264 suggested

if they were locited, then also heat them up.

2 Likes

Epoxy is great, but you have to thicken it up. I recommend fumed silica, AKA Cabosil. a few percent by weight will turn runny epoxy into peanut butter, and a couple percent more will turn it into dough.

4 Likes

Here’s a clearer video of what’s going on.

And a little more backstory to how I ended up with this issue.

So…
My shoddy shitty flipshit motors and vesc don’t seem to want to cooperate.
I want bldc sensored or hybrid.
At first both motors would return error 255 and just… not work bldc sensored.
Now one of them magically gives a hall table so i went and swapped 2 phase wires on the other, now both give a hall table.

I assume it looks normal, i have 0 experience with it since it never worked.
Now when i try to give it throttle, motors don’t spin at all. Not even an attempt, stuttering, something, just bldc scream and no movement. Giving a little kickstart does nothing as it is actually braking. What am i doing wrong?
I did bldc detection from both computer (tcp bridge) and android app

2 Likes

@Venom121212 @bollen Here’s a fantastic deep dive into some of the many possible additives to epoxies, and their advantages/disadvantages. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KjlyXKeo8c

5 Likes

Great find I just started using silicas and talc to great effect in my epoxy and I have seen the other additives and no clue what they do. I remember this guy from his videos on his DIY Peltier Fridge. Science…

1 Like

how is the loaded speed calculated? which weight?