Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I know @BillGordon and @MysticalDork have weighed in, but I will give you a third opinion.

It’s very similar to their recommendations, though, because their advice is solid.

A VESC 4.12 from Torqueboards (or someone else) is a good ESC if you stay at 10S voltage (not lower, not higher), if you keep battery current to 25A or less, and if you run in BLDC mode without sensors. (It will not start from a stop, you need to kick once) It’s likely to never break. It’s if you try to push any of those boundaries that you will likely have problems. And you may even be able to get two for that price.

If you run full power for over 20 or 30 seconds it may start thermal throttling, but that is a very far thing from randomly dying and it will operate completely normally afterward once the FETs cool off. I did say "full power’ and not “full speed” also. You can go full speed for a long time as long as it’s not up a steep hill.

6 Likes

I was considering 3 different VESC-based: makerx dual, 2 TB 4.12, and FS 4.2 plus in that order. So far, I’m leaning towards the makerx but if something goes up in smoke, I might have to buy another one. with 2 TBs, if one blows, I can just buy another one without spending too much. You guys have given me a lot of good options so I may have to think this one through before I make a purchase.
I did plan on running BLDC on all 3 so at this point, I just have to decide whether I want to go with a dual or 2 singles

Two singles is a better choice than a dual, especially if reliability is a concern of yours.

1 Like

Okay. Seems like I’ll be going for the TBs then. Let’s hope I don’t bot out on setting up my settings and just brick the thing

Actually, do you guys think it’s better if I just wait for a Unity to show up and save my money? @BillGordon & @MysticalDork & @b264

1 Like

if wait is an option, I’d wait and see if the stormcore option is viable

4 Likes

If wait is an option and patience is one of your tools, you are guaranteed to find a deal you’ll want to jump on . Keep em eyes opened in the sale sections and be faster than our resident hoarders ( yeah you, you know I’m talking about you ) and you’ll get the deal of a lifetime

2 Likes

This is also a good option. Do you know when they’ll release it?

I’ll just never sleep and keep refreshing the page. Time to grab some gfuel

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for months on a viable replacement for my broken aps trigger remote. Still not satisfied with possible options so riding with the broken one till then

2 Likes

Hopefully you’ll find one!

nope nada tostada… and I’m a big fukkin’ fan… I’m just opting to see a report from the frontier from someone pushing their shit to the limit,

@malJohann has been running and reporting his findings the longest… AFAIK he’s had very few issues…

the outlook appears promising…

3 Likes

The minute they release it, I bet they’ll sell out in like a day. This hobby is slowly becoming similar to being a sneakerhead. Limited drops on the most hyped up stuff and if you don’t get it before it sells out, then you risk buying at above retail if you don’t catch a good deal

1 Like

ftfy

@b264 @hummieee

I’ve got a question…

16s4p and 13s4p same cells same kv motors and everything.

3DS Calc says
16s - 17.5NM of torque - 24/58
13s - 21.5NM of torque - 25/58

Should the higher voltage and same amperage produce more NM of torque? Ie 16s4p is 120a discharge and 13s4p is 120a discharge.

1 Like

avoid the hype… buy after the bow-wave has subsided…

this is from someone who bought in on the JedBox debacle…

let others test our shit, or live on the edge… both options are attractive… but you only get to choose one…

2 Likes

No. The torque is directly proportional to the current. Doesn’t matter if it’s 1v or 100, if the current is the same the torque will be too.

Volts = RPM
Amps = torque.

Volts x amps = watts
RPM x torque = hp (which = watts.)

5 Likes

I’m waiting for the second public batch. Or I might just pop at Lacroix and ask for one so I can install it the same day :joy:

1 Like

The last one that I saw literally sold within 30 seconds

1 Like

guud luck… I tried to 'esplain to lucy uhmmph vs. spiney spiney… I failed…

1 Like