Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Really unsure of how to mitigate current issue,…after dialing my settings in motor 50/50, batt 20/-20,
vesc gets really hot and i think it causes my board to bog down alot…is there any way to ensure it doesnt get too hot while giving steady performance? single TB 6355, TB Vesc, 10s4p…thanks.

I have done multiple experiments and determined empirically that it does not matter whether the belt or drivetrain are connected during motor detection.

I know this has been common knowledge for years, but experimentally I just can’t see any difference between the two. And, since it’s usually a hassle, I’d say just go ahead and run the detection with everything hooked up if you want to.

And, if you like science, record all the values, disconnect the drive train, rerun the detections, and let us know if the numbers are more than a few percent different! I’ve never found them to be :ok_hand:

1 Like

maybe there is something wrong with my esc or something but it fi do it without belts it doesn’t work

1 Like

Which ESC and motor?

fs 4.12 and i had an 270kv motor but i am not using that one anymore
i’m waiting on a new motor

1 Like

I have a 10s5p thick config. the cells are the LG MH1s. Been using it for a while now and it’s not a bad battery at all. comes with a 50A discharge BMS.

2 Likes

I think they’ve sold out of all the MH1 and LiFePO4 batteries.

edit: oh, those are the legacy ones. They still sell the MH1 Metroboard-X battery but it’s not got the 50%-off price.

1 Like

So I want to try building my first DIY. I’ve built 2 of them before but I used proprietary ESCs from hobbywing and lingyi before and now I kind of want to try a legit vesc. Is there a tested vesc that randomly die on me? I’ve read a bunch on the forum and Flipsky, FOCboxes, Trampa’s, makerx, are typically ran by a lot of the members but I need help deciding which one may be right for me. I’m trying to spend under $170. I have two 6354 motors and a 10s4p 30q pack. Any help would be appreciated on helping me finishing out my build

Hey guys. I’m an android user. I have xiaoxiang app on it for my smart bms from LLT (the blue elephant app)
I wanna see rumors that were told to me how apple users have more setting in the same app on iOS.
Anyone have it on Apple?

It is, if you have realistic expectations. IMHO, it’s the perfect “something to ride until I figure out what I want/build my board” option.

4 Likes

You’ve whittled your choices down to older Flipskys and Maker-X in that budget window. I would go Maker-X dual or Go-FOC dual in your shoes. My little $120 Maker continues to perform for me IF I use it within its reasonable limits.

When I go outside those limits, weird things happen and I have no one to blame but myself.

7 Likes

I just plan on running the motors at around 15a per motor. Is that conservative enough or could i possibly go higher?

For me, it’s good up to 45/-45/35/-15.

3 Likes

Those two requirements will be difficult to reconcile with eachother. The best (most reliable, power-dense, good thermals, feature-rich) vescs are quite a bit more expensive than that, and there’s a good reason. They use higher quality parts, namely the mosfets that carry the high currents, and they have more time/effort/money put into designing/prototyping/testing to make a more reliable product.

The gold standard single vesc in my book is the Trampa Vesc6. It’s the original, designed by Vedder himself and has the pricetag and performance to match. They go for $236 USD new right now.

Flipsky are much, much cheaper, both in terms of actual price tag, and the parts and effort put into them. Their QC tends to be all over the place: Some are great out of the box, and run just fine with no issues, while others blow up and fail for seemingly no reason. It’s a lottery, so if you go that route you should set some money aside for a spare, because chances are good that you’ll need it.

Makerx is another Chinese company like Flipsky, a bit of a new player so far. I’ve heard good things and bad, but honestly they’re so new that there just isn’t enough of a dataset to go on yet, whether or not they’re decent. Their mini ESCs are fantastic for 4WD builds though, because their tiny size reduces the difficulty of packing all four into a reasonably sized enclosure.

FOCBOX is definitely the reigning king of durable, proven dual ESCs. They just happen to be rare as hen’s teeth, and expensive too. You may find a great deal used, but don’t count on it.

6 Likes

15A per motor is very conservative for a 6355, even for a maker-x mini. Like BG said above, 45 motor amps and 35 battery amps is reasonable for such a small ESC, and with a beefier one, you can comfortably feed a 6355 motor 60 or even 80 amps without too much issue.

3 Likes

Okay I’ll buy this for now and then hopefully a unity will show up. I gotta stay glued to this forum now so i can get a unity. They go in the blink of an eye

Sounds good. I’ll buy this for now and use it until it either dies on me or until a unity shows up. I saw someone selling VESC 6s but right now that’s a little out of my budget. I just sold my verreal so i’m willing to drop money on a vesc but I cant afford a $400 vesc just yet lol

Just realise you won’t find one within your stated budget.

5 Likes

BG speaks truth. Even used, they go for a lot more than $170.

3 Likes

Yeah I understand. I just sold 2 boards to fund my build so hopefully if I sell my last one, I have enough to drop on either 2 VESC 6 or a unity in the near future. But I think between reading about makerx, i’ll run this for a while

1 Like