Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I use spoon flower for custom fabric and sometimes pick up local fabrics if I see one I like. I like satins a lot, image looks nice and shiny. But I’d like to source something that has a bit more stretch to it, this stuff works for decks but not so much on enclosures. Get at least two copies, for most of our decks you’ll end up with 2-3 copies in a yard of fabric. Epoxy, I use system three silvertip, as it is extremely clear and glassy when cured. Frit, anything medium or smaller works. Get more than you think you need.
There are a couple very good tutorials on freesk8 that cover it pretty damn well. But, basically, properly mix the epoxy, wait til it’s tacky, brush it on, and lay the fabric. do a white base coat(I use epoxy mixed with titanium oxide, it is BRILLIANTLY white and usually covers everything in one coat) first to make the colors pop more. Or dont. Depends what you’re going for. I use a Dremel to cut the edges, once it’s cured. Move fast with it, or you’ll chunk the edge up, but it’s the cleanest and easiest way to get the edges looking clean.
I prefer mostly fine frit with a little medium mixed in, or just straight up sand, quartz sand grips really well.

2 Likes

There’s a big thread on the Freesk8 forum that I think @glyphiks made as well

2 Likes

I was just grabbing them up xD

4 Likes

Thank you so much! Some great info in here. Time to do some shopping.

Epoxy is by farrrrr the most expensive part. A quart of the stuff I use is $75. If you cannnn try and find something smaller, you can get like 7 decks done with a quart. If not, it’s good stuff to have around anyways. Quality epoxy is key, cheaper stuff tends to discolor when it cures.

2 Likes

Ive done one pour of epoxy over a paint job before and had ok results but I think Id like to try a fabric skin next. Im considering printing this on fabric and then skinning it. Currently using splatter goat.

6 Likes

Can it be glued?

With that design, definitely do a white base coat, the colored lines will stand out waaaaay more. Compared to splatter goat(I’ve heard bad things about their quality) the image will be a lot shinier, and if you wanna be fancy like me you can do some cool designs with the frit.
personally, I find fabric jobs to be far less stressful, but I like the look of wood stains far more.
Feel free to ask me anything, I’ve been pretty steadily doing frit work since new years.

1 Like

Will do! thanks.

Anyone know what VESC this is?

It has a built-in remote but I can’t get the remote to turn on even after replacing the battery.

I’m guessing it’s bound motor but a new remote from then is $100 so fuck that can anyone help me diagnose or fix this remote?

Edit: figured it out, had the wires on the plug backwards. Soldered the battery right to the board and now it works fine.

Looks like the keyways FS sent me with my motors don’t fit into the motor shaft, is this a common issue ppl have had with FS motors and is there an easy solution?

I saw mention of ppl having to grind down the keyway, but I’d rather avoid that as I don’t have the equipment. If there isn’t an easy solution is it sketchy to only use the set screws and not the keyways? Thank you!

what i did was, sit the motor shaft on something flat, then hammer the key in

i will never need to remove the key anyway, so it doesn’t matter if its stuck there forever

3 Likes

I’ll try that, thanks

…And it worked! Easy enough

2 Likes

Have both 74A and 78A, and for my money, the latter are the best 110.

2 Likes

Most keys/keyways tend to have very very close tolerances on purpose, so it’s possible flipsky isn’t doing anything wrong (or their shaft tolerances are slightly sloppy and end up with some a little too tight).

If it was truly wrong, you wouldn’t be able to hammer steel into hardened steel.

Just fyi

1 Like

Same here, I got my replacement motor yesterday and I had to press the key in really hard to get it to fit.
Now it’s snug as a bug in a rug.

2 Likes

Bringing this topic back up for some visual feedback.

Some (haven’t tested all) can be removed with my pinky.

@ethana4 @MBS

I was told that the batch mine are from weren’t within tolerance.They are replacing mine when the new ones come in.

As far as methods of trying to fix the issue, ive tried loctite 638 and loctite 641, Teflon tape, and kapton tape. None have held up longer than a few miles.

MBS has been cool about this, so props to them

1 Like

Good to hear. Have you gotten an ETA for arrival of new stock? The EU also has no stock on black fivestars.

I was told mid April.