Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

So one of my sensor wires got cut and cant get it fixed for a week, so i just redid motor detection and set them to sensorless. My board would top out at 28mph and now since i set it to sensorless now it will only go 24 mph, so does running sensorless lower top speed some?

1 Like

the unity cannot handle the extra polling rate from 2 uart devices at the same time, so it just goes into no respond mode. this can be shown if u have the stock ble module (uart) and vx2 (uart), once u turn on the remote, any app setting will not save because the esc is simply not responding to any input.

hopes this clear things up

3 Likes

That seems like a major downside to the unity or tenka.

Besides being sold by jaypo

Yeah it’s definitely not ideal, but I think in reality the majority of people either don’t use external UART devices or don’t use the BT module so it’s not a huge problem. It’s such a pain having to find out the hard way though

1 Like

No. It doesn’t even use the sensors above some low erpm. Some other setting got changed, or you updated the firmware version.

Or the board is at a different SoC, or the gear ratio was set incorrectly

1 Like

yes.

What? He indicated he only changed software.

Situation:
I’m using @Boardnamics adjustable baseplates on both my front and back truck, the rear truck is topmount and my front truck is dropthrough on an LY Switchblade.

Issue:
The boardnamics adjustable baseplates tend to come slightly loose and jiggle, I can easily tighten my rear bolt ad it’s accessible but with the front truck being dropthrough I have to completely remove the baseplate and hangar just to tighten the single bolt half a degree. I need to do this at least weekly if not more often.

The question:
How do I stop needing to constantly tighten the adjustable baseplate bolt without resorting to something semi-permanent like loctite? I’m already using a locking nut.

2 Likes

Neither of these have changed the only thing changed was setting it to run sensorless and ive checked every setting i could and they all look the same so im stumped.

Im not that versed on the tech stuff so what does the SoC means haha

System on Chip
State of Charge
Secrets of Congress
Sauce on Crisps

1 Like

Haha love it i kno what it stands for but not how it would lower my top speed on a full battery, maybe i should unplug sensor wires all together than do another motor detection.

Speed is tied to State of Charge. You go faster on 50.4V than on 50V so as you get sag your top speed is reduced.

I got that part but if the only thing that has changed is switching to sensorless why would i drop 4-5 mph off my top speed?

Potentially pedantic but IMO it’s not accurate to call a lower soc sag. Sag is temporarily reduced voltage under heavy load, not just normal discharge

3 Likes

How are you measuring top speed? What I think Evan was saying above about “the gear ratio was set incorrectly” is that when you run motor configuration in VESC tool it usually asks for gear ratio. Even if you didn’t change the gears, if you entered the ratio differently to what it was the last time you’ll get a different reported top speed. If you have some way of measuring independently like a GPS speedometer app on your phone or something, that will eliminate the reporting error

Yeah so asking about SoC is about questioning the if part. The point of the messages above is that there are lots of other factors that could have changed, and especially if it’s not specified that you checked all of them, it seems much much more likely that something else has changed than that sensorless took speed away

1 Like

Ding ding ding

1 Like

Ok i got you so im not really using anything other than feeling to measuring but i do have a wand and have DaVega but before my sensor broke i couldn’t push full throttle its too fast for me now im on full throttle looking for more. Nothing was changed ive went screen by screen with screenshots of all the pages before sensor broke and the only thing i can think of are the sensorless settings if its something i need to account there as i havent done anything to part.

1 Like

You’re probably dropping voltage by using more power to accelerate giving you a lower top speed at lower soc than you had before from the same starting soc

Could you explain what you mean by that again? Dropping more voltage with more power where, why would acceleration power be different