Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I use system three, but west systems basically the same. Both marine focused companies.

Searching “system three” on Amazon gives me hair and acne products

Searching “west system” gives me a $600 5-gallon kit

Shipping time isn’t any better on Amazon, either way it takes a week to get here, hence my current dry spell.

Oof I wanna use my board by Friday. 5-minute epoxy and hot glue is sounding pretty good rn.

I also gotta secure the rest of the components into the enclosure too so might as well burn a few glue sticks

2 Likes

It’s what id do. Patch that bitch with what you got, it won’t be too hard to undo or redo, and worry about a real fix when you have real supplies.

1 Like

for waterproofing do y’all recommend dumping 5-6 packs of hot glue sticks into my enclosure and ripping on them with a heat gun?

1 Like

Without throwing proper gasketing and whatnot into the mix, I’ve ridden in actual hurricanes with nothing but gorilla tape, the kind that’s a flex seal alternative, on every single crack, but it’s the absolute worst thing in the world to remove from anything.
It’s been holding the pipes under my sink together for damn near a year though without a single leak.

1 Like

That sounds like a great way to thermally damage your expensive components, and waste a ton of time de-potting later for very little gain.

Butyl tape, neoprene foam strips, or door weatherstripping are the usual go-to methods.

They’re all also significantly easier to undo later.

2 Likes

Kapton tape is better for any resin work.

Painters tape tends to bond to the cured resin and is a cunt to remove. The adhesive can also fail due to the exothermic reaction of the resin.

Kapton removes easily from cured resin and has been far more reliable for me in stopping leaks when trying to mask off holes and stuff from resin.

5 Likes

Good to know. Ive had issues with exactly that, but assumed it was this brand as I had never used it before, and not painters tape on general. Also, and idk if kapton would help on this issue, once I coat in quartz sand NONE of the tapes I have would stick to it properly, and I’d rather not have to only use it is a final step, that would almost outweigh how much I like the look and grip of the stuff.

Can’t help you with that side of things, but for general masking and sealing, kapton works awesomely with resin.

2 Likes

I use hot glue like a temporary weld.

Drill hole. Hot glue the connector in place so it stays in the right spot and stays still. Then epoxy the other side. After that cures, rip the hot glue off and epoxy the first side.

5 Likes

Yes, I described that exact process somewhere in this line of questioning lol. Now give that a polo and shorts and call it a dad
<3

Like some sort of epoxy nut and bolt?

Haha.
Not really. More like epoxy needs to cure overnight and I’m not gonna sit in the garage holding the MR60s (or whatever) for 10 hours.
Hot glue cures in like 1 minute and is easy as fuck to rip off.
This is half way through (epoxied one side and hot glue ripped off)

3 Likes

Oh you let the connector itself play. How kinky. I only described filling a hole, truth be told.
I sleep now. Love you, upside down bastard men. Let’s meet up at the core some time.

1 Like

That looks awesome.

But those are MT60 not MR60.

Yup. My bad.
Beers.
I should have just said plugs. :joy:

You must not be dedicated enough :laughing:

1 Like

Receiving my package with hypertrucks and lonestar deck next week
Was wondering if anyone can give some advice about channel trucks and bushings as this is new to me
I like to ride 30-40mph when possible and not so much carving but need to turn quite easily
Weigh 65kg