Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Take some trash out of the bin, and epoxy two pieces of trash together. Preferably one of them metal and threaded.

After it cures, try to destroy it.

Then you know if it’s good to use or not.

1 Like

I’d use hot glue or hotter plastic til you can find proper washers and nuts, you don’t need a permanent solution to a temporary problem unless you’re a weird kinda stubborn xD

I epoxy them after I put the nuts on.

I feel like you haven’t struggled with enough loose or leaking charge jacks yet in your life LMAO

But to each their own. Hot glue is certainly FAST and EASY.

1 Like

If anything, use any kinda epoxy, even 5 minute shit, over the hot glue. Makes removal a breeze, strengthens it against vibrating off, and is a cheap solution to redo.
As for the loose part, to fill a hole in an enclosure isn’t that hard. Make a new one, plug the old.

I didn’t come here to get called out like this lmao

I might just melt a bunch of abs filament onto it and call it gravy.

1 Like

Ight see I figured that’d be harder to acquire in a timely manner. If it’s on hand, I’d make a whole new charge port hole. Fill in the old one.

I can’t agree with this part any more than I do.

Seconded.

1 Like

ABS is weak and flexible

How do I fill a hole in an eBoosted enclosure? The thing is made of like, climbing wall hold materials. Basically stone. How do I compensate for holes like this?

1 Like

If the enclosure is abs, that doesn’t matter. If it isn’t, I don’t think he wouldve wanted to. Lol

I’ve got PLA if that’s any better…

Glass fiber scraps heavily mixed into epoxy. Painters tape to hold form. Might have to burn the tape off, or coat the whole thing to hide discoloration

1 Like

Depends on your goals.

Perfect looks? I’m not even going into that, it’s complicated.

Just enough to prevent ingress? Clean everything, drag a piece of paper through some epoxy, and stick the paper over the hole.

Something adequate? Do the paper thing except on the inside. Once that cures, add a layer of epoxy on the outside to fill up the hole.

1 Like

I’m not really worried about looks as this will all be internal and the enclosure will be covered in butyl tape to avoid water coming through the deck.

External looks are really important.

I patched a hole in my eboosted via this technique: painters tape on the outside, hot glue plug. Epoxy on the outside, remove hot glue plug. Fill hole with epoxy from the inside. Coat entirely on the outside with color of your choice epoxy to hide it.

1 Like

Butyl tape isn’t a coating, it’s like used chewing gum. Place it between the enclosure and the deck where they meet.

If you want to cover the top of the enclosure with a lid, use butyl tape around the edge (but inside the bolt holes) and lay a thicc piece of flexible plastic over it.

Yeah this is what I mean and what I’ve been doing for about 6 months. Edge to edge butyl, foam padding to avoid components sticking to it.

For maximum clean look, coat with white epoxy, and you’ve got a blank slate to work with.

1 Like

Damn epoxy is expensive on Amazon.

I really wanna learn to do all this cool epoxy work though.