Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Nothing inherent in the active balancing tech makes them more reliable or prevents them from draining a pack to zero volts. It’s all up to the individual balancer’s design and construction.

Both passive (resistor-based) and active balancers (capacitor or inductor-based) can be accurate and reliable or complete piles of junk. But with the resistor-based ones often being sold so cheaply (carefully chosen word there) though the odds of them being less reliable are greater IMO.

If the budget is there your recommendation to buy an active model is a good one if the large balancing current is not an issue.

For any balancer, shop carefully though!

3 Likes

Surely there’s a plug with enough pins out there that’s waterproof

If anyone knows a cheap and reliable external balancer please tell.

There seems a lot of junk in the balancer market.

1 Like

These two rarely come together for any product. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Haha yea. U have a thought as to what balancers are good?

Sorry, I don’t. Almost all are too small to be reliable IMO (too much heat) or have some other issue I don’t like.

1 Like

Anyone know how to turn on this random esc from the lot skyarts bought?
Tomorrow the motor connectors are coming off it so speak now.

The 4 pin power button it sort of came with, and a different one I had didn’t turn it on. The right most pin has 37v on it. My guess is it’s broken or the shit remote universal I bought is not compatible. It doesn’t exactly matter since I’ve got 5 single unused vescs at the moment, but I figured I’d try a shit esc to see what I’m missing.

Looks like a Hobbywing to me

1 Like

Nice, if it works, but now I need a different remote. Maybe I’ll use it someday.

LLT BMS. Cheap and reliable. It’s external when you keep it outside the enclosure.

Figure out how to connect your balance leads and you’re good.

I never used exactly this voltage checker.
I had a different one I once tried to balance discharge to storage voltage with and it got so hot that the plastic case started melting :joy:
If you have legit cells and a proper build pack, there shouldn’t be much balancing be needed for quite some charge cycles.
So might work with the voltage checker you plan to buy.
Most importantly thing if you want to go this route, always have an eye on the individual cell voltages and be nearby while charging to switch off the charge manually if needed.

1 Like

It’s my opinion that if this level of babysitting is required, then the vehicle or battery is designed wrong. At least we know which direction to go to improve our vehicles.

legal disclaimer: obviously you should always take all safety precautions possible, even absurd ones

2 Likes

Imo Biggest reason is it’s annoying. Back in 2015 I built an ebike with a 14s battery and used a 7s hobby charger.

Electrically it was built as two 7s batteries and had two external xt90s. I used a 25pin parallel cable for balancing.

I always parallel charged and balanced the two sub batteries.

It only went wrong once when I forgot to disconnect the parallel discharge connector before plugging in the charger,. That was a fun shower of sparks.

I wouldn’t recommend this setup to anyone.

3 Likes

I would also not recommend it, second that

2 Likes

What if one had the balance wires and power wires on the same plug? So it would be a simultaneous insert and removal every time?

1 Like

I had always planned on doing something like that but never got around to it.

it worked just fine. I put over 1000 miles on it. charging was just a hassle and moving my charger was an even bigger hassle

1 Like

I’d hate to imagine what would happen if you accidentally shorted the connector, but yeah that sounds like a cool idea.

Would be a large connector though

So every time you plugged in one side, it unplugged itself from the other side?

That sounds like a great Gag Battery

1 Like

lol

You are plannng to use an actve balance board to balance your new lifepo4 you are building?

1 Like