Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I don’t get it… What?

I’m still interested in balancing externally and the active balancers because I’m making another potted battery for this and another similar bike and sinking a bms in there seems a bad idea.

Have no plans for potting any more batteries after this and will use bms.

I would not pot an active balancer in there

Why not passive balancing boards?

Or just a BMS outside the potting?

1 Like

I don’t want to sink anything else other than the cells again, except next time I’ll be sure to add the balancing wires instead of assuming I can drill through and balance afterwards :man_facepalming:

Then again with the cost of the active balancers being higher than a cheap bms I think I still likely won’t use the active balancers in the end

Speaking of that I’m thinking off adding at least one more cell in series bringing it up to either 54v or maybe another up to 56.6v. U think 56.6v is not risky to run the Vesc while running a real Vesc6? With the big bike hub w low kv (high inductance) I wonder if the regen voltage spikes will be a risk.

Is there a way to set a minimum start speed in vesc tool? I want the throttle to only work when I already started moving.

Yeah, the balance wires and power wires would be simultaneously inserted at the same time and simultaneously removed at the same time, wtf are you talking about?

Is this ebike jive?

I expected more from you

What u mean jive?

Are those actual charge voltages? They aren’t divisible by 3.65 or 4.2

I charge to 3.6. Maybe my math is wrong. 50.4…

But more wondering on the voltage possible w the low kv and regen voltage spikes. Maybe should ask on es

And then the all important plug with 16 or 17 pins. Maybe do a molex?

I wouldn’t use more than 14S LiFePO4 on a VESC6. I don’t know what battery you’re referring to.

1 Like

I’ll use the same a123s

Yes, but the amount of them you string in series is the important bit.

1 Like

You don’t say :thinking:
(Sarcasm… but in a joking friendly way)

1 Like

I read of people going up to like 60v while of course running regen on a board. I figured 56.6 seemed reasonable, although the very low kv maybe adds bigger voltage spikes?

I’m using emoji :smiley:

On what size of pack?

For what pack size?

Yes, but it’s the detail you’ve never mentioned.

I’d be building a battery to fit the same dimensions as my pic above. As it is there it’s 50.4v top charge I do. 14s with lifepo4 a123s

It’s 98 cells, 7 in parallel, at this point, but could reconfigure for the 54v

Yea sorry missed the series number. 14 or maybe move to 15 or even 16

So 50.4 or go to 54, or 57.6. I like 54.

But forget it and too complicated trying to rearrange the cells. 50.4 it stays.

What plug u think good for that and external balancing? I’ll just use the molex I got I think.

So no I have no questions. Just stewing over here. Carry on. :stew:. :clapper:

1 Like

Okay so I was about to connect all the stuff to the ESC (a stormcore 60d) and I am confused and helpless.

How do I connect both a remote and a davega?
How do I connect the battery meter?
How do I best route the cables through the enclosure?

Oh and: with the hi5ber Lotus - which side would you consider the front side?
(https://www.hi5ber.com/product-page/lotus)

Sorry, I know these are probably /facepalm questions for you :frowning: