Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I found various brands of sprayable epoxy primers, no white tho >:(

Hey, I just realized we don’t even need to build these things at all.

Did you know you can actually buy esk8 already built?

:exploding_head:

1 Like

Better be building your own esc. Where yo homemade Peralta clone at? Damn bro, you don’t make your own cables from loose strands of coper? Wack.
That’s you, Brian. XD

1 Like

Don’t forget alter ego, the metric bot

I found an electric tape measure at home with a switch for imperial vs metric. I think it’s pretty stupid, considering it’s not a laser, and the tape is labelled in both

1 Like

I had to downgrade it, no way to detect the remote.

You still need to redo the motor detections and ALL the settings after any firmware change, even going down.

Titanium dioxide is one of the most commonly used white pigments. Just mix it thoroughly into one of your resin components until uniform, degas if needed, then mix the resin as normal. You may need to adjust the mass or volume ratio slightly depending on how much pigment you use, but you shouldn’t need more than a few % by mass to get a pretty opaque result.

Yeah TiO2 is not sparkly at all. Should give you a nice neutral white.

Especially with white, any yellowish tint to the base resin will show through, so the silvertip is actually a good idea.

4 Likes

Very informative as always! Thanks. I need to get a gallon of silvertip when I get paid anyways, but I think this quart will last through at least most of what I need to get done right now.

2 Likes

Ok, I am trying to free spin my motors on a test bench… I am sure I did it last time (a while ago) with those commands in VESC Tool

But now when I set for example Duty Cycle at 0.2 and press Play Button, nothing is happening, just a short bleep from the motors…

What am I doing wrong here?

Also I am getting a much smoother start from standstill with this value set higher than default “1”.

What are the downsides of setting this higher? I am not managing to understand the explanation from the VESC Tool?

@b264 @Trampa

Thanks

Anyone know about these balance dischargers @hummieee was talking about in 2016 and 2019
“I use my bulk power supply to charge my battery with a balance discharger on the side. The cheapest fastest possible way to charge”
“Use 12$ battery medic like device for balancing on the side”
26136_1_high
I’m interested in doing a nese module with li ion cells and then exposing the balance leads to plug into 2 of these external balancers. smart bms is more convenient, but my only experience with 1 has been frustrating. And I like how when you balance charge lipos you are more in touch with the balancing. I saw @Andy87 made a battery like this too. my only concern is that I saw someone say these balancers just aren’t fast enough. Also are they made to be plugged in while charging? or plugged in after charging to balance? Idk I could also just try a new smart bms

Probably turn the Control Type to None in the current APP to Use and the keyboard and terminal will work

1 Like

Nice, TIL

Obvious next step is to advertise my skinned decks as “titanium infused” then make all the monies

5 Likes

Those little balancers were cool but balanced super slowly if at all and that little model is no longer sold. I remember looking a lot and they look cool but were only good for checking voltages really. There’s some other different shaped slightly bigger ones that also barely balance if at all. They can be plugged in whenever (charging, discharging…)

I’d shoot for “active balancers” and the external balancers that burn off power using resistance often don’t work or will destroy ur battery if left attached. I’ve heard many stories and rarely good with them.

Surprised more people aren’t into external balancing and saves room and allows you to oversee.

((Or I mean get the active balancers that are using what I think are capacitors. Not the cheapo thin ones.)

1 Like

De-wedging mountain board decks with solid 3d printed petg or tpu inorder to run dkp or tkp? Will it work?

Can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work. I’ve seen someone even use leather.

If by solid you mean 100% infill that’s totally unnecessary. All my printed risers are 30-40% infill. Never had any failure.

I have some PLA as well. But I would suggest petg

3 Likes

interesting man, thanks for your reply, is this the type of capacitor active balancer you recommend?

what battery charging setup do you currently use/recommend overall for balancing? i have a lipo pack and don’t mind doing it the lipo way but my lipo charger is super loud and my other battery is lifepo4 i use a laptop style for it which is perfect but my daly smart bms has never worked like i want it to

I think that style is the best. I don’t have one though and just know it from reviews and know what I do have sucks.
These days I’m making a new lifepo4 battery and plan to use that as well.

Not waterproof

If it breaks, it doesn’t matter how nice it is while broken

Smart BMSs allow external monitoring without exposing internal battery wiring circuitry to the elements

1 Like